QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 428|回复: 1

[历年真题] 托福阅读历年真题精选31

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-14 22:34:35 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Questions 40-50& U! m! ?  ^$ Q
Of all modern instruments, the violin is apparently one of the simplest. It consists in: @( a& e; U. o2 p: B# o. R
essence of a hollow, varnished wooden sound box, or resonator, and a long neck, covered$ F% _/ K) H0 X2 T
with a fingerboard, along which four strings are stretched at high tension. The beauty of. Q: N1 u2 m! K+ ^# I( B, l, h
Line design, shape, and decoration is no accident: the proportions of the instrument are. m# F4 `; |4 x0 [
(5) determined almost entirely by acoustical considerations. Its simplicity of appearance is
1 J8 x! r" k1 q6 P: ]& Zdeceptive. About 70 parts are involved in the construction of a violin, Its tone and its
$ p1 v( m- n2 V5 g6 u  M. J, H# Boutstanding range of expressiveness make it an ideal solo instrument. No less important.
9 C2 }5 R! U# J1 yhowever, is its role as an orchestral and chamber instrument. In combination with the0 h8 h' j+ {7 ?9 K' {6 t
larger and deeper-sounding members of the same family, the violins form the nucleus9 `) y1 j+ a3 {1 i* B; v
(10) of the modern symphony orchestra.
$ Y! w5 H+ |% Q$ _4 s5 U. }  ?The violin has been in existence since about 1550. Its importance as an instrument
8 K) U# T# Z  R; cin its own right dates from the early 1600's, when it first became standard in Italian, Q9 Q, c# X" e# w* {
opera orchestras. Its stature as an orchestral instrument was raised further when in 1626/ N; Y! T% L( C) R9 s, w7 ^9 d
Louis XIII of France established at his court the orchestra known as Les vingt-quatre
2 P! i  U! q  P(15) violons du Roy (The King's 24 Violins), which was to become widely famous later in5 t7 @+ h: D5 |/ e2 m6 [. i
the century.
/ y$ C; t* ~; Q/ o; K4 o( tIn its early history, the violin had a dull and rather quiet tone resulting from the fact- k" F6 K9 f) }# @5 X0 D! P) O
that the strings were thick and were attached to the body of the instrument very loosely.+ S0 A# l0 z7 ~' Y
During the eighteenth and nineteenth century, exciting technical changes were inspired
; m6 [8 @. U- m6 W( B(20) by such composer-violinists as Vivaldi and Tartini. Their instrumental compositions
! i& v4 n: X0 k5 J! v& Sdemanded a fuller, clearer, and more brilliant tone that was produced by using thinner
0 c0 ~( D+ Z! S6 I) a- \strings and a far higher string tension. Small changes had to be made to the violin's
% N+ U; X' U$ O6 E  `$ Ginternal structure and to the fingerboard so that they could withstand the extra strain.. S; C" Z$ w$ P, ~) u& d: o
Accordingly, ,a higher standard of performance was achieved, in terms of both facility
; P2 ]( E# d( r% Y+ l7 d(25) and interpretation. Left-hand technique was considerably elaborated, and new fingering
4 T1 S* b0 u& y- xpatterns on the fingerboard were developed for very high notes.  A7 K# p5 T8 _  j1 V- f

' h! {) X) n5 l+ Z9 Z  u40. The word "standard" in line 12 is closest in meaning to+ `0 L5 W; r" Y+ u) Y+ K( k5 @
(A) practical
, G5 F4 Q1 \# B# X2 z(B) customary; @$ y' p& R) C
(C) possible+ I8 K: ^) Q( o
(D) unusual& g* X1 b2 f1 w# I% @+ x$ n# m4 h
41. "The King’s 24 Violins" is mentioned in line 15 to illustrate
; n1 _3 T0 ~: a(A) how the violin became a renowned instrument+ `; V' k# k5 \# ]' _  ~$ N
(B) the competition in the 1600's between French and Italian orchestras* x8 y- H5 m' n* \7 ?, Q: N
(C) the superiority of French violins/ d2 O& v5 t/ c( C
(D) why the violin was considered the only instrument suitable to be played by royalty
. ]8 V/ \5 l( c: Y ( ~& T- W( o) R, U' l1 r9 j
42. What is the main idea presented in paragraph 3?! ^9 t! P+ N0 Y8 v
(A) The violin has been modified to fit its evolving musical functions.
; D8 _, c7 ~9 _4 }$ h# f(B) The violin is probably the best known and most widely distributed musical instrument in the- j( r! I) d. X& Z0 Y7 k! r) x# q* K* F
world.
& Y3 }8 I% d1 g" n; L(C) The violin had reached the height of its popularity by the middle of the eighteenth century.; y$ v9 u$ L  J# a, i( z
(D) The technique of playing the violin has remained essentially the same since the 1600's.
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-14 22:34:36 | 显示全部楼层

托福阅读历年真题精选31

43. The author mentions Vivaldi and Tartini in line 20 as examples of composers whose music</p>(A) inspired more people to play the violin: w* {  |9 z* q
(B) had to be adapted to the violin0 o) x  H5 j( @% X/ I
(C) demanded more sophisticated violins
2 e: N# s; ^1 W% w+ L" D: f9 R(D) could be played only by their students
7 Q! a8 ^) b$ u; D 0 U3 m" [/ ^/ m- J% {7 V
44. The word "they" in line 23 refers to
8 R+ d" r( M$ G& Z. B* G" v+ C(A) Civaldi and Tartini
0 L1 ~* d2 B; v" {$ A; x(B) thinner strings and a higher string tension# P( r! P. B: [; H1 k& Z* s  Z$ q0 y6 M; x
(C) small changes0 \6 D6 d+ n3 P0 H9 f; P
(D) internal structure and fingerboard
- u  T  W. w2 q; j) t
* Y2 y. y$ v7 q45. The word "strain" in line 23 is closest in meaning to
) [( y" n4 g' \/ O% k5 [2 P5 E, K(A) struggle
9 _! H( H5 f5 l! A" V; r(B) strength
2 R& p- D8 Y) Q5 h$ B& F(C) strategy
, M: G3 L+ \6 Q" J9 @$ N2 ?(D) stress2 g, p% N8 L7 L" K1 i

+ Q+ N5 M1 W: ~8 Y! a- D; Z46. The word "Accordingly" in line 24 is closest in meaning to
( a' I* `' M- `1 a(A) However
* A# r0 O  _9 @8 E(B) Consequently
) j* b, k$ Y9 Q5 @4 @5 M5 h(C) Nevertheless
  U$ j( T# e. R(D) Ultimately; Z" l# M+ I$ y3 i8 u5 C

% t  e. P8 z$ n. K& s47. According to the passage, early violins were different from modern violins in that early violins8 }! \  \. q) R3 o3 `
(A) were heavier
" J. Y4 T# d6 C2 D* x' \+ W(B) broke down more easily
5 q# l$ D& q5 E9 x(C) produced softer tones/ O. t; {2 n! x6 z" z: i3 |6 _
(D) were easier to play, J# V$ z$ C" a: ]
% z- y; v4 M- H. B" \; E: t( ?
48. According to the passage, which of the following contributes to a dull sound being produced7 M) l% z# S9 u3 F' Q+ B; Z. g9 B
by a violin?+ H0 b8 T7 U8 N! }, F
. S5 s# n( z0 i3 K* g# b
(A) A long fingerboard
/ {1 u: A- {4 H5 {; |(B) A small body
  x! K0 d/ A' O' a+ C0 c(C) High string tension
* z, ?: b% t6 g0 E(D) Thick strings
  J7 q, R. L. k  {
; ]$ Y# g- j/ s) D4 Q% }+ f49. Which of the following terms is defined in the passage?
0 H  W" l# U) g5 i% c' F/ k(A) resonator (line 2)
% H8 ^7 s0 Z+ \! O8 a. Q" p(B) solo (line 7)0 x) I; V1 a5 C' \, @, k% Z6 T
(C) left-hand technique (line 25)6 Q  Y. Y* d5 |% u+ d0 J9 M
(D) fingering patterns (lines 25-26)1 ^9 `# f$ Y  R1 \! z+ H+ z
% j+ X+ z4 ~9 C8 q
50. All of the following are mentioned in the passage as contributing to the ability to play modern violin music EXCEPT7 U* H9 z0 s: t! D, J$ N
(A) more complicated techniques for the left hand
7 b, u, w$ F6 w- Q  P+ {$ d(B) different ways to use the fingers to play very high notes
- i; n# o9 j5 N+ _(C) use of rare wood for the fingerboard and neck  x0 [8 T% T+ R8 d, {
(D) minor alterations to the structure of the instrument
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-6-6 03:17 , Processed in 0.166030 second(s), 23 queries .