QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 161|回复: 1

[历年真题] 托福阅读历年真题精选30

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-14 22:34:35 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Questions 31-39
; }9 s/ ~& y$ u$ ~: jPerhaps one of the most dramatic and important changes that took place in the/ S5 F8 I8 a# g( H. d
Mesozoic era occurred late in that era, among the small organisms that populate the
* N3 W- H" K' A% A5 j5 b( iuppermost, sunlit portion of the oceans--the plankton. The term "plankton" is a broad
% L3 b- Y! X: }, ]+ uLine one, designating all of the small plants and animals that float about or weakly propel* w+ W! S' x% k3 V1 S
(5) themselves through the sea. In the late stages of the Mesozoic era. during the Cretaceous. E/ Q  [5 ?/ \; ~: R3 G
period, there was a great expansion of plankton that precipitated skeletons or shells
8 z% L& P2 Y9 `3 O/ pcomposed of two types of mineral: silica and calcium carbonate. This development+ {6 {3 B$ x! c( r& U
radically changed the types of sediments that accumulated on the seafloor, because,+ ~! @8 E, |& D7 @
while the organic parts of the plankton decayed after the organisms died, their mineralized
* {& g. t7 @5 \* o4 K8 I(10) skeletons often survived and sank to the bottom. For the first time in the Earth's long
5 R, ]; i- R6 rhistory, very large quantities of silica skeletons, which would eventually harden into rock,
7 l3 h3 G, M) D2 {; g. \! y; Obegan to pile up in parts of the deep sea. Thick deposits of calcareous ooze made up of
* o! A& `% j- q, f$ N/ m! mthe tiny remains of the calcium carbonate-secreting plankton also accumulated as never
9 a4 K4 S5 }1 c4 Q! y- Xbefore. The famous white chalk cliffs of Dover, in the southeast of England, are just one( E7 |$ h0 B/ S, @
(15) example of the huge quantities of such material that amassed during the Cretaceous
* q5 ^2 u' }: N7 ~  K# M/ x: lperiod; there are many more. Just why the calcareous plankton were so prolific during2 L9 p* O8 n% o; h
the latter part of the Cretaceous period is not fully understood. Such massive amounts3 S0 H- r, S: N! H* B0 C
of chalky sediments have never since been deposited over a comparable period of time.
# x& F) `4 H8 A; R% CThe high biological productivity of the Cretaceous oceans also led to ideal conditions
( K* G9 T& X. k) ], x! {6 U" h(20) for oil accumulation. Oil is formed when organic material trapped in sediments is slowly
$ A( z2 T% x( Y6 H2 R) sburied and subjected to increased temperatures and pressures, transforming it into% ~* W1 Y7 O! `% c, O4 _; B
petroleum. Sediments rich in organic material accumulated along the margins of the
( }2 k2 m; G6 H6 Z6 vTethys Seaway, the tropical east-west ocean that formed when Earth's single landmass* ]3 W/ @" j- H" k" r
(known as Pangaea) split apart during the Mesozoic era. Many of today's important oil2 z. x& b' b8 q) V/ q
(25) fields are found in those sediments--in Russia, the Middle East, the Gulf of Mexico, and2 L1 r9 `5 }  X9 `  e
in the states of Texas and Louisiana in the United States.% O  q- r) @4 i$ |- W; G' n7 C

! |- ~* G: u6 r1 Y# `% ?6 d8 O( t& F  i

1 ?% Q. b* L# X31. What does the passage mainly discuss?
; `# h: r# C$ }1 E. h(A) How sediments were built up in oceans during the Cretaceous period( r+ v6 `' v& n3 w2 E% G: T& i* M" B
(B) How petroleum was formed in the Mesozoic era) `/ M* Q, ?* K6 C8 P7 [- n" O8 e. H
(C) The impact of changes in oceanic animal and plant life in the Mesozoic era
& A6 B5 y: m! p# R% `& L% n$ m: n(D) The differences between plankton found in the present era and Cretaceous plankton
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-14 22:34:36 | 显示全部楼层

托福阅读历年真题精选30

32. The passage indicates that the Creiaceous period occurred</p>(A) in the early part of the Mesozoic era
- d3 U; k/ c- O* S( J(B) in the middle part of the Mesozoic era
& P1 s; \/ E8 B(C) in the later part of the Mesozoic era3 l7 z; f& A; r; y- o0 _
(D) after the Mesozoic era
9 x) `3 g; ?) L5 j + T+ w* g9 Q! i, K  j* b
33. The passage mentions all of the following aspects of plankton EXCEPT
* h% k5 g, V3 n6 o6 j(A) the length of their lives! M2 ^3 y" n' I, K% }6 f5 M. v
(B) the level of the ocean at which they are found
9 A4 O3 U+ A; J: s! ]4 {(C) their movement3 O$ J: u& [: R2 o6 K
(D) their size
8 ?9 p/ o4 r4 t
, [$ Q! @% S* s6 z8 a) C! B34. The word "accumulated" in line 8 is closest in meaning to
7 p4 ^  c0 ^9 Z0 ~4 `(A) depended1 @+ O5 v4 p" D/ F7 l$ T+ w
(B) matured: w# W) b- E0 q* S' j
(C) dissolved
* e- _7 p' N! `/ `5 R) z2 o& ]. h(D) collected. u* f% {& f6 }; B; y
! `0 S( t; o. y2 |& c
35. According to the passage, the most dramatic change to the oceans caused by plankton during
7 H# k2 P" {0 |" C  i3 Uthe Cretaceous period concerned
8 k$ E% Y$ a) I(A) the depth of the water
; y( M# x% e# S- X5 Z" t(B) the makeup of the sediment on the ocean floor
6 O0 `( v# ~: K# l& `(C) the decrease in petroleum-producing sediment
/ g. H& P( f; L( @2 L6 v(D) a decline in the quantity of calcareous ooze on the seafloor
3 `; Y- l& l$ a / v  j9 y/ a  h+ m6 s& Q5 ~
36. The "white chalk cliffs of Dover" are mentioned in line 14 of the passage to# {& h. A+ |( Q; ^( |  D% U# s
(A) show where the plankton sediment first began to build up
7 S4 X( V9 G, }  r; `(B) provide an example of a plankton buildup that scientists cannot explain0 ^. @: k5 {) i4 G* j
(C) provide an example of the buildup of plankton sediment( S" P) O9 a" M& ^  @
(D) indicate the largest single plankton buildup on Earth/ M" e/ O. L# W5 v2 q2 y" h

2 g3 i" x& v+ b' I7 n37. The word "prolific" in line 16 is closest in meaning to( L  y+ T! P; `  _& h- s
(A) fruitful. x3 U7 E- V; V
(B) distinct; |1 |' `3 x  C, q6 z2 N% B
(C) determined7 b: S: Y' Y# u
(D) energetic# a& d/ k; L% w0 D) g, ^/ d9 T9 Z

, u/ t/ a$ H) c# C% ], N38. The word "ideal" in line 19 is closest in meaning to  g5 Y6 e! U& q. i
(A) common
1 P+ g, J& l# R/ y5 ]# y(B) clear
, y, S( O  n) y(C) perfect2 F# _; y$ X" |# W: L
(D) immediate1 ?+ j8 W% Z5 q! ?& j1 y

9 r$ s# `. o4 K2 G  s+ p! E5 D39. The word "it" in line 21 refers to
3 w- U/ r5 J) a) E(A) biological productivity
0 S7 {" i- t# L# g1 T& j(B) oil9 K4 r5 c6 e, L
(C) organic material( s/ M; e% N9 N
(D) petroleum
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-23 19:54 , Processed in 0.197401 second(s), 23 queries .