QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 69|回复: 1

[历年真题] 托福阅读历年真题精选38

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-14 22:34:35 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Question 10-19) t8 N) ~  T& _& T& h: R6 |
      Both in what is now the eastern and the southwestern United States, the peoples of 8 T0 `. E+ w+ Z: n4 S
the Archaic era (8,000-1,000 B.C) were, in a way, already adapted to beginnings of& m7 u# U% C6 I' u6 ^6 e
  cultivation through their intensive gathering and processing of wild plant foods. In both
$ T7 i) e* O, O! ?& Gareas, there was a well-established ground stone tool technology, a method of pounding
* h6 ^8 x  N0 g5 p(5)and grinding nuts and other plant foods, that could be adapted to newly cultivated foods.7 }  p; o# Q% a; X6 j3 `+ E
  By the end of the Archaic era, people in eastern North America had domesticated certain0 W7 |8 }' i6 @/ T) }
  native plants, including sunflowers; weeds called goosefoot, sumpweed, or marsh elder;
! {8 S  w  b  t/ T, M% ~" i  and squash or gourds of some kind. These provided seeds that were important sources of carbohydrates and fat in the diet. * L9 C5 c& I+ t: {! y
(10)  The earliest cultivation seems to have taken place along the river valleys of the
6 d( h7 L; }# @( w. E2 J8 n, K2 \- gMidwest and the Southeast, with experimentation beginning as early as 7,000 years ago, A0 d* b% r1 p8 {$ _" q& d
  and domestication beginning 4,000 to 2,000 years ago. Although the term “Neolithic” is( Q7 h& }2 w+ {  W! L
  not used in North American prehistory, these were the first steps toward the same major subsistence changes that took place during the Neolithic (8,000-2,000 B.C.) period
* p8 K* @0 y3 z" B0 @. _: j; K(15)elsewhere in the world.% c/ j# {, y0 S& g8 A$ z6 G
      Archaeologists debate the reasons for beginning cultivation in the eastern part of the$ P# Q% y+ W- k/ C" v0 L' {
  continent. Although population and sedentary living were increasing at the time, there is+ K; i/ J/ h! i+ n, r
  little evidence that people lacked adequate wild food resources; the newly domesticated2 F3 o0 N( {  ~, X
foods supplemented a continuing mixed subsistence of hunting, fishing, and gathering1 h9 o# e! Q5 i+ R7 U, ^
(20)wild plants, Increasing predictability of food supplies may have been a motive. It has been suggested that some early cultivation was for medicinal and ceremonial plants rather than/ Q6 i4 |4 g( S# r, h# U
  for food. One archaeologist has pointed out that the early domesticated plants were all
8 X& Q# _. Y3 U0 D  weedy species that do well in open, disturbed habitats, the kind that would form around; n# l) n& ^$ @
  human settlements where people cut down trees, trample the ground, deposit trash, and & K% C$ F' z% B7 }4 l0 F
(25)dig holes. It has been suggested that sunflower, sumpweed, and other plants almost 9 f! C% x9 C0 O0 `& }5 ^/ u0 R) ~
domesticated themselves, that is , they thrived in human –disturbed habitats, so humans intensively collected them and began to control their distribution. Women in the Archaic communities were probably the main experimenters with cultivation, because
. V- t! K+ M) c2 d* u  ethnoarchaeological evidence tells us that women were the main collectors of plant food
6 K, H% R( _7 F8 \, Qand had detailed knowledge of plants.% p4 s! H& q9 `9 V+ }/ o" G3 T6 l
( E+ J" J) q- J
10. The passage mainly discusses which of the following aspects of the life of Archaic peoples?3 t1 G1 }, Z* L- b- U8 r
   (A) The principal sources of food that made up their diet
0 |0 c: z7 u0 s. O/ w(B) Their development of ground stone tool technology! @& o( i  A# g3 A3 k& B2 B
(C) Their development of agriculture
; n1 m: A" v1 y0 y! Z% C; G9 }0 B; h(D) Their distribution of work between men and women
9 ^: \  Y  ~0 s% F11. The word “these” in line 13 refers to
* T- m2 {/ @# @7 \) K   (A)  seeds
4 B4 }! E6 M& [0 G   (B)  river valleys
3 Y5 `7 q; n! v6 C# d( b; s8 |$ e   (C)  the Midwest and the Southeast
+ d4 j) J, Z# o1 A   (D) experimentation and domestication
- X4 X3 z% g" Q! Z* P12 According to the passage, when did the domestication of plants begin in North America?
7 q1 v( q' W- E  M; T4 H   (A) 7,000 years ago* \+ b: X( M0 ^0 s
   (B) 4,000 to 2,000 years ago" q. z+ m3 G* ^
   (C) Long after the Neolithic period; B% y' m5 R; v* V+ M
   (D) Before the Archaic period
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-14 22:34:36 | 显示全部楼层

托福阅读历年真题精选38

13. The word “adequate” in line 18 is closest in meaning to </p>   (A) sufficient
. _, W8 i1 J3 i+ y" \+ C   (B) healthful
1 S5 l9 e& e+ L8 k, T   (C) varied
/ A' U2 P5 _+ z# i   (D) dependable0 c# f* Y- e% Z1 Q  }7 ^
14. According to the passage, which of the following was a possible motive for the cultivation of plants in eastern North America?
% ?5 t7 M) g- r% X   (A) Lack of enough wild food sources
* R) a$ j: w6 M& O& ^, s   (B) The need to keep trees from growing close to settlements
6 O/ H- I; ?8 k  b0 S2 W   (C) Provision of work for an increasing population1 ~5 B. o: r- \& a' c2 J9 O, f
Desire for the consistent availability of food
* }" i, |- [. t; |% s15. The phrase “rather than” in line 21 is closest in meaning to& C" T+ H8 y/ @  j+ N
in addition to
* [% C6 L, [7 p. `instead of
# d7 h5 q0 [9 q( g. C, xas a replacement
; o, R3 ~* l8 L; msuch as
! \. A- P7 v# J' @1 H16. The plant “sumpweed” is mentioned in line 25 in order to + T; F) A* t. v% N6 f
   (A) contrast a plant with high nutritional value with one with little nutritional value
7 U) V! S9 d6 s5 x   (B) explain the medicinal use of a plant
2 k2 G* }8 f/ @) J& Z7 q! X" H   (C) clarify which plants grew better in places where trees were not cut down2 r; L4 u8 n# V3 _, D3 y3 W% x: K
   (D) provide an example of a plant that was easy to domesticate
9 a' w$ A, ?$ a7 H, \$ d17. The word “thrived” in line 26 is closest in meaning to
0 K3 i5 T" k) u   (A) stayed
6 u  c" x: F3 w6 [1 i   (B) originated/ F# |+ K0 [3 I2 |1 }6 ~9 @
   (C) grew well& O; r! O, |8 O2 `9 z
   (D) died out2 s# j2 V+ `" L4 Q) v
18. According to the passage, which of the following is true about all early domesticated plants?* N6 u7 s3 b6 D: u, P1 `- y9 {
   (A) They were varieties of weeds.
0 {! T5 q$ p! R5 W8 e' C   (B) They were moved from disturbed areas.' k( h# W7 o3 n* |2 k" Y
   (C) They succeeded in areas with many trees.
! Q/ ?9 y4 F: b6 ]3 ^   (D) They failed to grow in trampled or damaged areas.9 z% f$ T' y5 [1 J2 P+ ^* \
19. According to the passage, it is thought that most of the people who began cultivating plants were6 X" M' x7 t% W
   (A) medical workers" ]7 v8 c( {. M5 D+ D2 w* h
   (B) leaders of ceremonies
7 A9 i4 V6 B) T% F, v   (C) women
8 a' n$ T2 U2 x5 ?- d3 a   (D) hunters
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-6-6 03:07 , Processed in 0.188671 second(s), 23 queries .