QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 90|回复: 1

[历年真题] 托福阅读历年真题精选37

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-14 22:34:35 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Questions 1-9:
3 g0 o, l; x5 w: w6 q3 M6 J: |Europa is the smallest of planet Jupiter’s four largest moons and the second moon , J- V6 X8 D  u
out from Jupiter. Until 1979, it was just another astronomy textbook statistic. Then
- o% O: \, o/ g: @came the close-up images obtained by the exploratory spacecraft Voyager 2, and within & F# W. q; m( P* v2 s) N
days, Europa was transformed-in our perception, at least-into one of the solar system’s
% j% J  `2 E( Y/ F(5)most intriguing worlds. The biggest initial surprise was the almost total lack of detail,
5 {0 ?, L# ]9 ?/ E- [especially from far away. Even at close range, the only visible features are thin, kinked
8 g% i0 u9 I6 u2 a9 F4 Zbrown lines resembling cracks in an eggshell. And this analogy is not far off the mark.
$ h8 e( {0 a" r( qThe surface of Europa is almost pure water ice, but a nearly complete absence of
, a8 y; W* X$ K3 [% e  craters indicates that Europa’s surface ice resembles Earth’s Antarctic ice cap. The
1 X% h7 y1 j7 W(10) eggshell analogy may be quite accurate since the ice could be as little as a few kilometers
$ P0 U# b* }  y( O  Lthick –a true shell around what is likely a subsurface liquid ocean that , in turn, encases4 Z7 B. Q" B5 ~* ]8 p
  a rocky core. The interior of Europa has been kept warm over the eons by tidal forces6 P8 p2 ~+ \( [& H: E/ ~
  generated by the varying gravitational tugs of the other big moons as they wheel around! |8 t3 F% B$ z" i0 X6 z& X
  Jupiter. The tides on Europa pull and relax in an endless cycle. The resulting internal heat
% D* ^3 R/ ?/ |6 m1 ^(15) keeps what would otherwise be ice melted almost to the surface. The cracklike marks on
3 `$ [# T1 W4 c% J  Z5 |  Europa’s icy face appear to be fractures where water or slush oozes from below.
- F$ C5 R0 [7 S, C# }# w. G5 H0 b       Soon after Voyager 2’s encounter with Jupiter in 1979, when the best images of
+ T: n8 K' L7 F    Europa were obtained, researchers advanced the startling idea that Europa’s subsurface, M! d' |5 C1 F8 \$ J3 U1 L9 }& G
    ocean might harbor life. Life processes could have begun when Jupiter was releasing a- f+ T3 ]9 N4 m. @. O
(20 )vast store of internal heat. Jupiter’s early heat was produced by the compression of the: V6 y$ @5 ^% A0 X8 L- y8 B5 U
    material forming the giant planet. Just as the Sun is far less radiant today than the primal4 ~  d$ X% ^7 j* r7 Q1 U
    Sun, so the internal heat generated by Jupiter is minor compared to its former intensity.
0 m4 ^  b( f- V0 i    During this warm phase, some 4.6 billion years ago, Europa’s ocean may have been liquid3 L8 F5 S7 k& C: F9 _8 W' A/ [7 ]
    right to the surface, making it a crucible for life. % S' e8 \! L: o: ]
7 V9 n1 v4 Y: p4 Y8 H) v  j3 t
What does the passage mainly discuss?
( ]( g6 m9 F6 a7 @, @/ hThe effect of the tides on Europa’s interior
6 E8 L: M4 }3 U7 h4 T4 GTemperature variations on Jupiter’s moons* n( Q0 b" K4 i; J4 j" w
Discoveries leading to a theory about one of Jupiter’s moons
3 z& v$ ^" L2 t9 D% N+ cTechniques used by Voyager 2 to obtain close-up images.
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-14 22:34:36 | 显示全部楼层

托福阅读历年真题精选37

The word “intriguing” in line 5 is closest in meaning to</p>changing
8 D! t) O# B8 U2 r. Vperfect
6 s5 A: U4 u0 ~0 a1 y) F$ }  Xvisible
( V+ ?  I0 ]% B+ u9 zfascinating  2 ~1 W8 ^/ X5 c: ^
In line 7, the another mentions “cracks in an eggshell” in order to help readers
( V& `+ ^  q$ B! [/ kvisualize Europa as scientists saw it in the Voyager 2 images
+ S$ m/ v& H) A. j9 e( kappreciate the extensive and detailed information available by viewing Europa from far away
9 a7 J+ K% K! w* kunderstand the relationship of Europa to the solar system  n7 a- b8 O& y: P* F
recognize the similarity of Europa to Jupiter’s other moons
: _6 C/ E- U7 }+ y/ W" Y4.  It can be inferred from the passage that astronomy textbooks prior to 1979 2 v. {$ Q. P& \, ]" |$ T
(A)  provided many contradictory statistics about Europa3 k8 [8 r! \5 N. K5 S1 @/ I' s4 K. p
(B)  considered Europa the most important of Jupiter’s moons
7 I- q2 @8 O& J# M* H- g(C)  did not emphasize Europa because little information of interest was available
- @: q: E9 t) x3 K(D)  did nor mention Europa because it had not yet been discovered ' ~& y1 I& I2 e4 l) {* {9 N
5.  what does the author mean by stating in line 7 that “this analogy is not far off the mark”?
0 J) `0 o& K3 M3 S& O(A)   The definition is not precise.
/ |  v' g/ M/ \, q(B)   The discussion lacks necessary information.
; T1 S  O+ B# T(C)   The differences are probably significant.$ R$ H( ]3 R9 M6 M  p/ {' Z
(D)   The comparison is quite appropriate.
4 w. B, ^# l* N4 Z# @6 k1 `6.   IT can be inferred from the passage that Europa and Antarctica have in common which of the following?
% W- K' U$ h1 _% O: J    (A)   Both appear to have a surface with many craters. 9 U/ P2 Q7 C7 E( J0 w
    (B)   Both may have water beneath a thin, hard surface.
1 h! x% z0 e( F' Q( s    (C)   Both have an ice can that is melting rapidly.
  b4 g; s% d  f& I    (D)   Both have areas encased by a rocky exterior.9 N' c1 M' v& {/ @* C* w: n2 C
7.  The word “endless” in line 14 is closest in meaning to
' N, y6 I/ a5 ^, I(A)   new) L1 f  j* t% `: u
(B)   final. U# d0 J2 q" R5 m# C4 m
(C)   temporary( z! r  T+ n5 a7 P+ t1 \2 K* F
(D)   continuous% s) I$ c  {1 s5 K: ~' \
8.  According to the passage, what is the effect of Jupiter’s other large moons on Europa?
  V+ \0 E: I) H  R6 f(A) They prevent Europa’s subsurface waters from freezing.
! k4 b4 }) I# D( m' E, u(B) They prevent tides that could damage Europa’s surface.( j: \. M" O3 O, I1 K! @; k9 V9 H/ H
(C) They produce the very hard layer of ice that characterizes Europa.
3 c$ W$ k& @  ^3 }- Y- m& ?. F(D) They assure that the gravitational pull on Europa is maintained at a steady level. * D* A5 @) M0 i! S
9   According to the passage, what is believed to cause the thin lines seen on Europa’s surface?
/ e( q% Z; G# T( y(A) A long period of extremely high tides
0 I4 m# j; |" {9 `  h* E9 y(B) Water breaking through from beneath the surface ice! i( I* Q; K* H5 u! E  X: I, M
(C) The continuous pressure of slush on top of the ice
  @, n7 u& E9 x8 k, f# K- A8 w(D) Heat generated by the hot rocky core
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-23 20:04 , Processed in 0.137199 second(s), 23 queries .