QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 53|回复: 1

[历年真题] 托福阅读历年真题精选35

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-14 22:34:35 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Questions 30-40
6 k1 Y" S  n0 F; d$ J; N0 A0 n0 L1 r       Most sources of illumination generate light over an appreciable period, and indeed if
) w9 ^' J9 |. r- V    an object is lit for a very brief time(less that 1/25 second), the human eye will not react
6 k  I$ `& \. w' d    in time to see the object. A photographic emulsion---that is, a light-sensitive coating on photographic film, paper, or glass---will, however, record much shorter bursts of light. A
: h& p5 L1 {1 O  Z(5 ) photographic flash can therefore be used to capture high-speed movement on film as well
, c" E9 f9 @. m6 D8 Mas to correct deficiencies of the normal surrounding lighting. Photoflash is now generated electronically, but the earliest form, first used in 1864, was a paper bag containing
; O# f; s. l! Y, Q1 K( N5 {, I    magnesium wire and some oxygen-rich substance, such as potassium chlorate. When the
( O; q3 f' D7 ]; }! k    bag was ignited, the metal burned with an intense flash. A contemporary observer reported
- E" {; A" a+ L8 B7 @- x4 w# _; M$ S- C(10) that “this quite unsafe device seems to have done nothing worse that engulf the room in7 H3 I$ l. Q+ G
    dense smoke and lead to pictures of dubious quality and odd poses.”) N, i$ D. [# l
       The evolution of the photoflash was slow, flashbulbs, containing fine wire made of a, G$ ?  \7 U4 v- n5 U# g- ^
    metal, such as magnesium or aluminum, capable of being ignited in an atmosphere of pure oxygen at low pressure, were introduced only in the 1920’s. In the earliest type, the metal5 s) j: l" J1 P1 Q; l' S9 N  W
(15) was separated from the oxygen by a thin glass bulb. The flash was fired by piercing the
9 p$ K7 i1 z: A! {bulb and allowing the oxygen to come into contact with the metal, which ignited
" G! A: P6 R/ kspontaneously. Later bulbs were fired by an electric battery, which heated the wire by 5 E) E. j6 {6 o% G/ a
passing a small current through it. Other combinations, such as the pairing of oxygen
; Y$ w) w8 D/ V; y8 N- x1 y1 F9 O( xdifluoride with zirconium, have also been used. In each case enough energy is given out to
5 h" A2 ~! [5 d& V(20) heat the oxidizable metal momentarily to a white-hot emission of visible light. The smoke                     particles are so small that they cool rapidly; but since they are white, they contribute to the brilliance by reflecting the light from their still-glowing neighbors. A slightly bigger form " N- j8 r* r. t
of the metal will burn for a longer time.
0 z0 J5 G+ B  }3 f: |4 ]4 y ) e& F: s1 U1 ]# |
30 What does the passage mainly discuss?4 i2 A' }2 A' m: ]' M$ [8 c
(A)   The history of the photoflash& F  i  C% J. Q4 L+ n
(B)   Theories about how the eye reacts to light
7 I  p3 ]( X' i6 M(C)   The technology of modern photography* @( N: J5 U" w  B6 B+ ?
(D)   The dangers of using the early photoflash3 Q& ?/ n  |) P9 x5 u$ K
31 According to the passage,1/25 second is the minimum amount of time required for the
8 S: K" C# N1 Z2 k  p3 U(A)   recording of an image on film  j7 a% n+ Z% s7 Y
(B)   generation of artificial light
+ b( B- O8 p6 n6 o! K, t1 M(C)   creation of a photographic emulsion0 O7 T  c7 V1 u' K9 p
(D)   human eye to react to light
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-14 22:34:36 | 显示全部楼层

托福阅读历年真题精选35

32 According to the passage, an advantage of using a photoflash is that it</p>(A)   can produce repeated bursts of light6 H/ v" J/ l8 u) }* B9 j) t! |
(B)   intensities colors in photographs
1 w6 V/ i) B2 a% B1 C, z(C)   is short enough not to bother human eyes6 r8 {3 D/ O9 D8 w
(D)   supplements existing lighting
2 Z6 \0 `" h$ w: O; Q1 ]; W: f) x33 The word “ignited” in line 9 is closest in meaning to ! `0 ?0 ^4 i, f# V7 s* @( z
(A)   set on fire3 Z* h  O5 p" \- ]1 \1 R2 y6 o
(B)   cut into
6 P6 B9 ^1 C$ R7 p( Q(C)   opened, i0 U6 F. M2 T& D( M- W
(D)   shaken  k; |8 F" V1 W& x+ m
34 Which of the following phrases is defined in paragraph 1?
* o, S: y: j0 ~2 k- @) T- E5 N(A)”appreciable period”(line 1)8 t9 l4 {4 T3 ]: L8 O
(B)”photographic emulsion”(line 3)
8 Z* K1 V' P& s0 @5 ]2 M2 Q(C)”high-speed movement”(line 5)+ o$ L! K% i+ _; l; b( l
(D)”odd poses”(line 11)6 z: X4 {% a" R/ g2 Y& k$ M
35 The word “evolution” in line 12 is closest in meaning to 5 `- u! a+ e4 H5 F5 I5 y3 I
(A)   publicity0 h) E& Q) I6 W; F: K, {( L. y8 n
(B)   adoption$ J8 ~# T3 |) [9 O; r2 |  E
(C)   development
2 E" F6 s2 j4 U+ X8 V(D)   manufacture
& r/ e8 E% g4 r+ K8 Y  q7 M7 U36 The function of the glass in the first flashbulbs was to
. g1 F- ~4 [7 U& C" d(A)   produce the spark that initiated the flash
! G# f2 z& L! q8 O6 C8 D$ s0 s% l(B)   magnify the light produced by the flash4 H& e' Z' p4 ~
(C)   protect the photographer from the heat of the flash5 \) L; |" B( P9 \1 a/ w
(D)   keep the metal and oxygen apart before the flash
0 [/ H$ \( T  E8 H37 The word “it” in line 18 refers to
, i9 C+ [1 H# I- S9 ^(A)   oxygen
3 y4 a6 q6 `+ ^& b4 R* M(B)   battery" f4 M# {# R* Z' g) k) z5 d
(C)   wire% Q0 _$ O: G4 R7 C
(D)   current4 P6 R( ^2 j5 C4 O
38 The word “momentarily” in line 20 is closest in meaning to; n5 v: [  D% d" e" c
(A)   effortlessly
9 M% K8 @' s7 m) P; \5 M(B)   briefly
2 W8 ^( l6 V2 l8 Y9 H& X/ B(C)   electronically
5 V% S7 r$ g6 q1 ~% U( c4 ?+ h(D)   gradually
+ d9 A& k& j- T+ g, v5 L9 _. `39 According to the passage, the white color of the smoke particles generated by a flashbulb contributes to
* H1 `' c" ~$ [% Z! g(A)   rapid cooling: C+ P4 k. A) b; d2 r- T
(B)   bright illumination/ h" E: f) p5 X' t5 \. q1 M
(C)   electrical conductivity: u8 V& @2 B! V& W
(D)   intense heat
+ P1 ~; N, w( R) D. u& Y40 According to the passage, a flashbulb can be made to burn longer by using2 b+ I/ k& V" V$ o
(A)   thicker wire  }) h4 H: U7 p& Z. c6 y# K" C
(B)   more oxygen
3 R; J2 K% A+ h1 v4 i8 J(C)   thinner glass5 z9 g- t& t0 G9 ~' d% ]: }
(D)   continuous electricity
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-23 20:01 , Processed in 0.254460 second(s), 23 queries .