QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 206|回复: 2

[历年真题] 托福考试之阅读历年真题精选四

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-14 22:34:35 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Questions 30-39  
( Z$ [3 n0 e& T, Y8 F9 e; }  Tulips are Old World, rather than New World, plants, with the origins of the species 9 z$ i- _8 u1 q- W
  lying in Central Asia. They became an integral part of the gardens of the Ottoman Empire
. {3 h/ }0 N/ n1 H+ c' p  from the sixteenth century onward, and, soon after, part of European life as well. Holland,
9 t8 K5 a* C4 q3 }" N, ]  Line in particular, became famous for its cultivation of the flower. 3 R0 ~: M; i/ Y
  (5) A tenuous line marked the advance of the tulip to the New World, where it was 7 O* G7 O7 M- @) S$ g
  unknown in the wild. The first Dutch colonies in North America had been established
' E2 `- j) w, f  in New Netherland by the Dutch West India Company in 1624, and one individual who " `9 N$ U5 W- }. D6 y1 t
  settled in New Amsterdam (today’s Manhattan section of New York City) in 1642 , V! I& c& e% y
  described the flowers that bravely colonized the settlers’ gardens. They were the same - `7 F6 Z( L3 [$ Y
  (10) flowers seen in Dutch still-life paintings of the time: crown imperials, roses, carnations, " D9 u5 E0 F5 B/ T
  and of course tulips. They flourished in Pennsylvania too, where in 1698 William Penn : N3 p' ~+ ?& K( f' E# ]
  received a report of John Tateham’s "Great and Stately Palace," its garden full of tulips. ; U; }: b" M) r4 T8 @
  By 1760, Boston newspapers were advertising 50 different kinds of mixed tulip "roots." & c6 C  q4 J" v8 @1 }' }$ T
  But the length of the journey between Europe and North America created many $ K) X$ j) |* F' N) a8 N3 q1 L1 N
  (15) difficulties. Thomas Hancock, an English settler, wrote thanking his plant supplier for
* E/ {; u4 c8 u# F1 s5 |: g/ H2 I  h  a gift of some tulip bulbs from England, but his letter the following year grumbled that
+ ]7 `. D# a, W/ D5 S" w; t; \  they were all dead. 2 B7 |% \8 R9 Z
  Tulips arrived in Holland, Michigan, with a later wave of early nineteenth-century 1 M# r3 o" y$ g9 v1 t9 V4 }: g
  Dutch immigrants who quickly colonized the plains of Michigan. Together with many + k8 h: K5 S2 k6 t9 k3 V! h/ s+ P
  (20) other Dutch settlements, such as the one at Pella. Iowa, they established a regular demand for European plants. The demand was bravely met by a new kind of tulip entrepreneur, the / B( ]+ v6 i6 X" v9 h; e1 Y  d' `0 O
  traveling salesperson. One Dutchman, Hendrick van der Schoot, spent six months in 1849
3 ^- n1 H4 {1 v. v& \  traveling through the United States taking orders for tulip bulbs. While tulip bulbs were
5 d+ X# Q: e; w3 ?  traveling from Europe to the United States to satisfy the nostalgic longings of homesick
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-14 22:34:36 | 显示全部楼层

托福考试之阅读历年真题精选四

(25) English and Dutch settlers, North American plants were traveling in the opposite
& ?6 ~9 l' n( {! q# }" C- f- E3 Q# `  direction. In England, the enthusiasm for American plants was one reason why tulips ; V- l0 J( w; p( N0 V
  dropped out of fashion in the gardens of the rich and famous.
: |+ C) Z* Y) E+ h% k+ R# t2 o  30. Which of the following questions does the passage mainly answer?   P7 f# t/ g8 q6 i
  (A) What is the difference between an Old World and a New World plant? 3 f3 ~' T' s# f6 o. q
  (B) Why are tulips grown in many different parts of the world? ) z9 v' X/ F* D3 Q! ?) G; R
  (C) How did tulips become popular in North America? / k, ~/ s; Q9 n) }* X/ \0 @; p
  (D) Where were the first Dutch colonies in North America located? & I7 ?+ I  A  j" Q/ e" _/ j+ M- X
  31. The word "integral" in line 2 is closest in meaning to 0 F. ^7 Q" H* S% v$ m3 T
  (A) interesting
  J/ g5 m# i- A# W  (B) fundamental
4 v- a3 Z+ D3 M+ o% h6 o4 Y  (C) ornamental
2 \1 z3 t, q+ U4 d1 _  (D) overlooked - J6 F/ @$ b# T( j  w" {
  32. The passage mentions that tulips were first found in which of the following
! B6 y( e1 Y4 G3 a1 y: b  regions? + R( H+ J1 b& ^, T9 z4 a
  (A) Central Asia # a. S% M) q2 D+ R0 |9 q
  (B) Western Europe , P$ K3 _$ q# D+ A0 i9 Y
  (C) India
  Y) |) V2 z  f+ Y% ^3 z' j% U  (D) North America - V" f$ I* O! Y0 d4 F, L/ E% x- p
  33. The word "flourished" in line 11 is closest in meaning to
9 J" }# q" E" d( X: e* h  (A) were discovered
+ l  R6 ~2 ?/ V  (B) were marketed + K0 R# _1 R; h
  (C) combined 7 d6 s2 ]! T; G* e9 h* L7 i
  (D) thrived
  m' a3 o+ r! i. E! C7 S& O  34. The author mentions tulip growing in New Netherland. Pennsylvania. and
1 Z5 L1 j% g: c7 Z- @, S  Michigan in order to illustrate how # \" f6 T, f4 `
  (A) imported tulips were considered more valuable than locally grown tulips
% ~. H6 U( w4 |% @: a  e* }  (B) tulips were commonly passed as
& V5 _7 [! J7 p" f$ l  gifts from one family to another
* C) m9 O# Q0 V% g+ {7 u) q  (C) tulips grew progressively more popular in North America
" C" o$ r/ G, L6 R; W" h  (D) attitudes toward tulips varied from
8 }( g1 K, Y- J  one location to another
( [+ B* ^9 W4 C2 X. h5 a  35. The word "grumbled" in line 16 is closest in meaning to
" R( F  ~8 Q3 c  (A) denied
- E. j5 `6 ]0 B* I  (B) warned   u6 `3 P5 [# T3 e1 ^! r3 ]
  (C) complained 9 u, Y  Z& U. K; n1 r: @! `' E' }
  (D) explained
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-14 22:34:37 | 显示全部楼层

托福考试之阅读历年真题精选四

36. The passage mentions that one reason English and Dutch settlers planted tulips in
9 e6 h2 v. J6 |: n# ]  their gardens was that tulips , k0 p( @2 F4 {2 M
  (A) were easy to grow ; S) ~2 `0 C0 C. Q% H
  (B) had become readily available
4 X8 s& q5 y- p' P6 p# O  (C) made them appear fashionable # A6 c# t+ l, v% p/ o( r
  (D) reminded them of home
- s) @7 R8 m* ^6 z9 s, }. `  37. The word "they" in line 20 refers to . Q( z( ^$ j5 }
  (A) tulips
4 R* h8 x/ `6 y, u  (B) plains / _, R5 M1 v8 m& j$ o2 F6 ]
  (C) immigrants : z. B1 c$ d+ z4 a. N% S- G, ]6 Y
  (D) plants + h/ T, w7 Q1 w- R
  38. According to the passage, which of the following changes occurred in English ( i1 ]2 Z# R5 E& Z+ _4 I
  gardens during the European settlement of North America?   I( v' r( k8 [) {0 ?
  (A) They grew in size in order to provide enough plants to export to the New World. 9 m" D6 r$ W" o! H/ Q
  (B) They contained a wider variety of tulips than ever before.
' B4 V5 u  n7 J4 c  (C) They contained many new types of North American plants.
9 c; e& ?: k/ |  (D) They decreased in size on the estates of wealthy people. ! ^- w; Y9 z: o4 R0 P  X& j
  39. The passage mentions which of the following as a problem associated with the
: N/ Q' T. s" m# ]: U  importation of tulips into North America?
  R9 T. V& ^* g  (A) They were no longer fashionable by the time they arrived. 5 E6 W. @) g) |% M  {) N
  (B) They often failed to survive the journey. ; O0 {  D2 x) Q3 [! H' h' }
  (C) Orders often took six months or longer to fill. 8 J$ s9 ~4 y' v2 ^7 B5 i/ P
  (D) Settlers knew little about how to cultivate them.
6 d" @$ D# K: J5 ?7 n  答案可参考其他来源,克服一下,走向成功!
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-11 22:06 , Processed in 0.288561 second(s), 25 queries .