立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 64|回复: 0

[模拟试题] 2011年TOEFL词汇模拟题精选系列八

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-14 22:41:43 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
031. The quality of preservation is outstanding, but what is even more impressive is the number of ichthyosaur fossils containing preserved embryos.
) g" b( N! W2 L, ]2 w3 @The word "outstanding" is closest in meaning to which of following?
( Q# m$ z, I6 t  i3 P0 s(A) extensive
0 o' I& e8 X) @, }# M& n(B) surprising2 [' U1 Y+ G" C: ?( W
(C) vertical% @5 z$ S! A; }9 w  N$ Z+ K
(D) excellent
) O4 L( L4 h. I* U' w/ ~, P# u- e
032. Ichthyosaurs with embryos have been reported from 6 different levels of the shale in a small area around Holzamden, suggesting that a specific site was used by large numbers of ichthyosaurs repeatedly over time.
3 ]: I# ]/ q) |( ^1 nThe word "site" is closest in meaning to which of following?; v/ T. x9 E- `9 h( `0 `; ^
(A) example
3 g' [% J4 O3 j" ](B) location
5 }& r4 Z/ \& ^% l6 a3 N(C) development" F4 {; L9 v, v
(D) characteristic! p" l$ i9 [) r
* x- S. k0 D5 E- G
033. The quality of preservation is almost unmatched, and quarry operations have been carried out carefully with an awareness of the value of the fossils. But these factors do not account for the interesting question of how there came to be such a concentration of pregnant ichthyosaurs in a particular place very close to their time of giving birth.
& S8 A- ?2 K5 D6 N  v# Q5 [9 CThe phrase "account for " is closest in meaning to which of following?8 W! e' P: N3 L3 ]9 |( t  y/ h" Y
(A) record
6 ~- I# h, J/ _. W/ n- `6 L! k(B) describe2 M+ c. l/ }5 S( q
(C) equal( g  g! [( G! K7 m5 d0 |, ?
(D) explain
2 s! o4 L" Q( w* k+ K" f0 m6 t' J+ F: @. i( u
034. In the seventeenth century the organ, the clavichord, and the harpsichord became the chief instruments of the keyboard group, a supremacy they maintained until the piano supplanted them at the end of the eighteenth century.2 T% U& ^. |; ]# p6 Q+ D
The words "a supremacy" in line 9 are closest in meaning to
$ S0 v  _+ j" Y/ c- |  T# Z6 J(A) a suggestion- h2 d1 \1 W( K' v
(B) an improvement
: {- m3 w0 n9 W( r. z! }& n, _' \; Z(C) a dominance/ r4 z% ]( d( I
(D) a development% O( D9 i+ P) ~' L5 |
% s( z$ f# z4 ^' y$ p9 Y. A$ F
035. A series of mechanical improvements continuing well into the nineteenth century, including the introduction of pedals to sustain tone or to soften it, the perfection of a metal frame, and steel wire of the finest quality, finally produced an instrument capable of myriad tonal effects from the most delicate harmonies to an almost orchestral fullness of sound, from a liquid, singing tone to a ship, percussive brilliance.+ ^9 k' q- U4 |% A
The word "myriad" is closest in meaning to which of following?
3 f% @$ h3 ^2 J' @(A) noticeable: s3 [( L3 ~/ M, h  t7 b
(B) many
2 H, B" ?# h% P! |) x; K. N; ^6 W(C) loud) X% Y. a2 P1 }7 B4 d# m
(D) unusual
/ ]- m& D6 H# r5 x
- @- u4 d* w% o! D4 M8 @. c031 D4 J# E: m. }5 G6 I6 ]; V
032 B1 e% q5 H8 V! S: d
033 D' c! W! }  R2 {6 I7 a' O7 J
034 C
! G* _/ R$ o- g7 l/ c035 B
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-15 23:30 , Processed in 0.198351 second(s), 21 queries .