ascend vi. (渐渐的)升高,上升
' T( @9 _5 B7 Z8 @  ascent n. 攀登,上升5 A, B" k5 ^9 L1 e0 t- ]
  ascetic n. 苦行者,禁欲者;adj. 禁欲的,苦行的) R3 A' O! D& `& p: A, b" t8 S5 |+ E. |

& l0 I2 D0 @: w; ]' G$ D  
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-14 22:56:06 | 显示全部楼层

托福词汇学习:通过阅读记单词十四

asceticism n. 禁欲主义</p>  It seemed like a long ascent to the top. The mountain appreared barren, as though it had suffered through many years of arid climate. I had no idea why I have to climbing this mountain. All I could recall was that I had been reading a fascinating artical about climbing. But with my arthritis, how could I possibly make it to the top?* Y6 X4 \0 r" f+ R
  Despite my confusion, I ascended the mountain. After what seemed like an hour, I stumbled across a small artificial structure. It was hidden behind a large rocks. I was shocked to discover that it was an arsenal containing an array of antiquatedarmor and armament. All of it appeared to be handmade, probably by a 17th century artisan. It was a bit scray, so I left quickly and continued my acsent.
  M" B7 k2 h6 m3 F% T& z8 O  Further up, I ran into a man dressed like an aristocrat. He was articulatingsome kind of ancient arithmetic. His presence aroused my curiosity. I asked him what he was doing on the mountain. He rudely responded,"don't you know where you are?" What an arrogant man, I thought to myself.
2 _& r5 M6 g  D& w( P  After what felt like another hour, I spotted a small cave. I found an old monk living inside. Foolishly, I offered him some wine. I should have known that monks practice asceticism. But he wasn't offended. He simply smile and said,"I am indeed an ascetic person."9 U: J: r: Q- t6 x3 ^2 S+ J  ~' A
  I told the monk that I was tired and missed my home."Open your eyes" he whispered."You are already home."
. K( V, w% [: O  Suddenly, I began to hear the sound of my favorite aria. I could sense thearoma of a familiar aromatic substance. It was followed by a familiar voice.  t7 O/ h" n9 i9 X- s* {
  "Wake up" my wife said. "Here's your coffee! You're late for work."8 v: J7 i" _' j% W2 E2 `  }
  登上山顶的路好长好长。这座山看起来光秃秃的,似乎饱受了常年的干旱天气。我不知道自己为什么要爬这座山。我只记得当时我正在读一篇关于登山的精彩文章。但我患有关节炎,怎么可能爬上山顶呢?
. O% Z$ \% _/ G* }& l- v4 O   糊里糊涂中,我开始登山。约莫一小时后,我跌跌撞撞地走过一个藏在大石块后的小型人造建筑物。我愕然发现这竟是个军械库,里面存放着全系列的古老盔甲和武器。这里的一切似乎都是手工制作的,很可能出自一位17世纪工匠之手。这里怪恐怖的,我很快就离开了,继续我的攀登。
  O% C" s2 h2 B) {  我继续往上走,遇到了一位穿戴类似贵族的男人。他正清清楚楚地讲着什么古老算术。他的存在引起了我的好奇,我便问他在山上做些什么。他粗鲁的回答到:“难道你不知道自己在哪吗?”这人真够傲慢的,我想。
$ z/ o' u6 t' b  N$ ^  [1 K' n, k/ @  又过了大约一个小时,我发现了一个小山洞,洞里住这个老和尚。我竟傻巴拉叽的请他喝葡萄酒。我应该知道和尚奉行禁欲主义,还好他没有生气。他只是笑了笑,说道:“我是个真正的禁欲主义者。”( V  H# Z2 c: `  i/ m7 A3 k8 a
  我告诉那和尚我好累、好想家。“睁开你的眼睛k。”他悄悄说道,“你到家了。”6 |" I; d# j  K0 ?" d
  我突然听到我最喜欢的咏唱调,又问道熟悉的香料散发出的芬芳。然后,一个熟悉的声音说话了。0 O1 N/ h. w- i5 F# D
  “醒醒吧!”妻子说到,“这是你的咖啡,你上班要迟到了。”
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-6-17 08:38 , Processed in 0.172358 second(s), 23 queries .