QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 75|回复: 0

[托福阅读] 新托福阅读材料:UKtoopenEarthobservationhub

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-14 23:21:39 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
随着科学技术的发展,人类开始从太空中搜集有关地球气候等方面的数据。英国政府近期启动了一座地球观察中心,意在关注地球气候变化搜集环境数据。  
, n/ R2 l- Z" R/ c& b! f  Science minister David Willetts is to announce a new UK centre for monitoring the Earth from space.5 j. x" O- c0 B
% ^  I! C; Z) [: M6 j* _: b
  The Earth observation hub will focus on acquiring environmental data, such as information on deforestation and the impact of climate change.% `6 ~+ A. M1 E

5 x! J5 k" ^0 N8 J$ `/ G' v0 Q* N  The hub will be based at the International Space Innovation Centre (ISIC) in Harwell in Oxfordshire, which will open in April 2011.
" c. @. }9 |: n/ q/ r6 k0 h  M5 z 4 }0 n% o; `9 r" t
  The aim is to bring together UK expertise in Earth observation.& H/ o% l3 n5 w, f0 W; u/ L

5 O; L6 _9 n6 ?6 i6 E/ w  The hub will also be used as a flight operations centre for controlling satellites.; `8 e0 k) I7 m( [
3 n6 n' v& {+ L' W
  It addition it will develop the expertise to analyse environmental information coming from space, helping scientists learn more about how the planet is being affected by climate change.
3 D( S1 J+ S( @. G. v6 [ ) `0 v+ P2 K  O  W# l1 V
  Tracking pollution
# Q" P6 w* i4 I- s3 E9 O : S  L* j4 {' u/ M+ }( j7 u& t; C' ?3 N
  Professor Alan O'Neill, director of the National Centre for Earth Observation, said: "By bringing together the best of our space science base with industrial researchers, we hope to develop a wide range of applications.  j  q  R3 _  |  a$ d% K# t

/ S! h: m2 m* I% _$ r8 o  "These include global monitoring of deforestation, concentration of greenhouse gasses, and levels of marine pollution."
6 c2 E+ u9 y, A8 H 9 {) r9 Q* q& ?2 Z- m0 V  A8 \( @
  Up to 40 scientists will be based at the centre. Many of them will be involved in gathering and presenting the vast amounts of information coming from environmental satellites.
& }! w! @3 W* G) @6 o6 S, t $ V( K- ~) c+ v  o) s: B2 `0 t7 d
  The data will be made available to scientists across the world and to the public.
/ j/ C) Z6 S( v: \  w2 Q. z1 w & b0 m; o$ N3 h9 C, I$ D2 I
  Details of the hub will be announced by the Science Minister David Willetts in a speech on Wednesday morning at the Farnborough Air Show.
4 W. E1 T0 [- V) e
" N& [8 ?" }7 ]  He is expected to say that the centre will not become a "centralising force"; rather, it will serve as a hub to link regional space capabilities and promote knowledge-sharing between academia and industry.0 D5 M. q$ |9 a+ w, P6 m
0 t" ?  e/ i$ c6 d
  A preview of Mr Willetts' speech stated: "ISIC will operate at arm's length from the UK Space Agency so that it becomes a common facility within the Harwell campus.
3 v7 ^) ~) E  u
+ l$ E. `7 ^. S( r! P  "And at Harwell, the new European Space Agency facility is already working well, especially in climate change science and related applications.( _7 J( l, j5 n' m  T
( R0 b0 Q* Z* R  s* N! [# ]# [  q% G: j
  "Soon it will have an incubator for new space businesses and work on space exploration. This is a fantastic additional catalyst for UK space."
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-7-5 19:55 , Processed in 0.220904 second(s), 21 queries .