a我考网

找回密码
 立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 42|回复: 0

[托福阅读] 新托福阅读材料:CometsFoundOrbitingMonsterBlackHole(1)

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-14 23:21:39 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
 Ghostly "comets" have been found orbiting near the mouth of a supermassive black hole, a new study says.  
9 y& U, |# b6 a7 ?  A team of European and U.S. astronomers recently used Japan's Suzaku space telescope to study radiation pouring out of a black hole that's ten million times the mass of our sun. This monster black hole sits at the core of the spiral galaxy NGC 1365, 56 million light-years from Earth.
; f% ]; Y7 _" F1 V: g. N8 J
$ X/ U7 o( a: }( e/ F% ~  Thanks to a fortuitous alignment of the space telescope and the black hole, astronomers were able to detect weird, comet-shaped clouds orbiting close to the black hole at breakneck speeds of thousands of miles a second.+ M4 k7 H* W! {; _+ n
4 w' X% T. ]7 i. W
  "Unlike mountain-size icy comets found in our solar system, the ones we are seeing are made of stellar-size, superhot gaseous remains of stars ripped apart by black holes," said study co-author James Reeves of Keele University in the U.K.
& B5 F; I5 F+ B- K" z ' i& e' X& s5 \* S( R& C
  The unusual discovery suggests that all supermassive black holes might have comet-like clouds, which may change how astronomers model the way these cosmic predators devour their stellar prey, the study authors say.
  I+ z% b1 F. ?5 {. B* c
4 m( r! d/ M3 B+ q8 Y. L' [  u  "Comets" Seen Eclipsing the Black Hole
/ E# n- W# d& @" ?: [( [- W. |; V
+ d# X  C6 P" I2 Q* V  Matter is constantly falling into the supermassive black holes at the centers of galaxies, forming what are called accretion disks of superhot material that orbit the black holes.
5 J/ t+ i. s1 [3 U2 q  \, b / [. a# _4 w* T1 y# x. Q
  A jet of high-energy particles streaming from the mouth of the black hole creates a bright point of light as seen by Suzaku's x-ray eye.  T- J; `& E0 w# f* n6 U
* g  @8 X3 ], t0 E( S9 y6 T
  Similar to the way the moon blots out sunlight during a solar eclipse, the orbiting clouds darkened the team's x-ray readings as they passed between Earth and the central black hole in NGC 1365.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-7-5 23:01 , Processed in 0.213737 second(s), 21 queries .