立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 63|回复: 0

[托福阅读] 新托福阅读材料:Hubblespotsaplanet-eatingstar

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-14 23:21:39 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Scientists used Hubble data to create an image of the planet being swallowed.  : F/ O7 w) l1 \! U+ s
  The Hubble Space Telescope has captured evidence of a Sun-like star "eating" a nearby planet.
* L7 x+ @: G7 v' G
. b; O2 I. A% I! z' s- Y  Astronomers knew that stars were capable of swallowing planets in orbit around them, but this is the first time the event has been "seen" so clearly.
; c  n% }* P( o3 X+ I
0 {1 S6 b- |- {% t& ^  Although the planet was too far away for Hubble to photograph, scientists have created an image of it, based on analysis of the telescope's data., g, @/ s0 G9 X& O* A/ q- G4 E/ Q! O

" a/ ~! D. v% s  The discovery was published in the The Astrophysical Journal Letters.
' U# {' N8 A. @3 W3 E( |
  `: ~5 R0 b# N2 B) y& ~  The researchers say the planet, which is called Wasp-12b, may only have another 10 million years left before it is completely devoured.
+ a! G; L. i  e
& g5 z" a& F- a  q  It is so close to its star that it completes an orbit in 1.1 Earth days and is superheated to more than 1,500C.' t7 Q+ ^8 l+ D& A2 j
1 y& u; L% N: Q- b
  Because of this proximity, the planet's atmosphere has ballooned to nearly three times the radius of Jupiter and is spilling material on to the star.% X- u6 z% v0 Z. y

- d2 `/ o' ^/ Z6 k5 a2 Z: @  Carole Haswell from the UK's Open University led the research team. She explained: "We see a huge cloud of material around the planet which is escaping and will be captured by the star."8 n3 _3 d0 v7 F' f. Y

1 M2 z; X9 H4 M$ h  Hubble's detection of the cloud enabled scientists to draw conclusions about how it was generated.7 W- H9 G9 C2 z! [

) p5 Z" ?# Z2 K; x) W! l  Dr Haswell said: "We have identified chemical elements never before seen on planets outside our own Solar System."3 b1 X" |. O, _$ ]
+ |. v2 |! {3 M
  Wasp-12 is a dwarf star located approximately 600 light-years away in the constellation Auriga.
. M' E! L% N" }) m6 a / J4 T8 G0 w  }- W* E/ b% n5 c
  The exoplanet was first discovered by the UK's Wide Area Search for Planets (Wasp) in 2008.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-7-6 00:21 , Processed in 0.130587 second(s), 21 queries .