QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 72|回复: 0

[托福阅读] 新托福考试阅读练习:Invisibilitycloakcloserwithflexible’metamaterial’

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-14 23:21:39 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
拥有《哈利波特》里的隐形斗篷是很多朋友的梦想,日前英国科学家的一项研究为这一切提供了可能。  ) m: X, s! X$ m" K
  Scientists in the UK have demonstrated a flexible film that represents a big step toward the "invisibility cloak" made famous by Harry Potter.
$ Z1 ~$ w6 a  e- x) G
; {  j+ {: L) g7 s' \  The film contains tiny structures that together form a "metamaterial", which can, among other tricks, manipulate light to render objects invisible.1 ?1 H- F( ~  D' X

2 o. Q6 ?/ q+ I3 c$ ]  Flexible metamaterials have been made before, but only work for light of a colour far beyond that which we see.
# A, ^3 I' I: |/ C
9 M2 P, ~7 l3 _9 Y; P1 F  Physicists have hailed the approach a "huge step forward".
  ~% y& ^% a1 S( S, `# F: n
+ q( o5 U( U' x5 D  The bendy approach for visible light is reported in the New Journal of Physics.
, D. }8 U- Y% L 7 A  F2 j7 r4 ^* |& n
  Metamaterials work by interrupting and channelling the flow of light at a fundamental level; in a sense they can be seen as bouncing light waves around in a prescribed fashion to achieve a particular result.
2 _$ Q9 p) g) v9 D2 R0 U
; ~8 z, Q  Y2 c8 q% {& E5 A  But light waves can only be herded around by structures about the size of their wavelength - a property which is connected to their colour.
4 x' z4 z. R4 d+ s# X 9 w/ ^2 n, M' E3 u# Y
  Until now, the most striking demonstrations of invisibility have occurred for light waves with a much longer wavelength than we can see. This is because it is simply easier to construct metamaterials with relatively large structures.% ~& K5 [# ^' ^! R1 h
& c, x6 }$ m# C
  Even flexible metamaterial films have been shown off for this high-wavelength range.
* {, d7 V# f2 ?! }! \+ @" V # F5 V2 T  p# O; z1 I
  For the far shorter waves we can see, a metamaterial requires structures so tiny - nanostructures - that they push the boundaries of manufacturing.
0 P; r6 P: s  f) U  J1 r
2 y' d2 u; u* C, f' \8 r6 c  "The first step is imagining first of all that this could be done," said Andrea Di Falco of St Andrews University, the author of the paper.
' e% e5 Q! T5 f9 u: C 2 r( Q2 N( F* `" f3 r; l
  "All the typical results have been reached in flat and rigid surfaces because this is the legacy of the procedures used to create nanostructures."4 i3 F& l2 [6 H& ~
, P2 S$ {) G1 h' w3 [: H
  So instead of building the typical stacks of the "fishnet" structures on hard, brittle silicon, Dr Di Falco used a thin polymer film.  v  j: @/ K7 @  l6 o6 k) `) ?

/ E# R# P& }" `& M  "Typically what you do is stack several layers of fishnet structures and this all together will give you a metamaterial," Dr Di Falco explained.. j7 J% t9 W  B3 n8 l" B) ^) W
5 _9 x- M9 V3 C# J% D# V. |
  "What I've done here is fabricate a single layer - I lift it off so that at the end I am left with a self-standing membrane - and show that it has the properties required to create a 3D flexible metamaterial."
' e3 Y# b4 n1 l5 [/ O6 x
5 ?8 x+ b) ]+ g  Tents moment
7 X5 V5 n2 \& i: O$ z 1 V4 ?8 m5 X  X% f
  Ortwin Hess, a physicist who recently took up the Leverhulme Chair in Metamaterials at Imperial College London, called the work "a huge step forward in very many ways".1 b1 e4 b9 W, S( Z$ H
2 ?" v$ y  G. a. g- G0 _
  "It clearly isn't an invisibility cloak yet - but it's the right step toward that," he told BBC News.
. W& O/ X4 S" ]3 q/ f: g $ {4 ?5 G6 I3 ]/ J' p9 h2 r
  He added that the next step would be to characterise the way that the material's optical properties change as it is bent and folded.: j$ s" |4 B; k; M* U: g& q
' u, y/ |& z8 |* ~
  If the properties were sensitive to the movement, it may be useful for next-generation optics and lenses in, for example, handheld cameras.
" j* c9 v" e  E5 b2 ^1 G 1 |$ t5 P8 b1 i5 C- }  n  i. `
  If instead they were impervious to bending and motion, the invisibility cloak could be that much closer - but Professor Hess added that is still some way off.
8 h/ e. j0 A0 B& [/ m 0 W1 O- R# o7 ]' i. V
  "Harry Potter has to wait still - that's the huge goal," he said.
4 I/ H& T8 B9 J; y" e - |/ D# w# g( _; Y
  "So far he's had to live in a house and now he can live in something like a tent; it's not the cloak that adjusts to his shape, but it's a bit more flexible. Now we have to take the next step forward."
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-26 00:16 , Processed in 0.294561 second(s), 21 queries .