QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 262|回复: 0

[托福阅读] 托福阅读:Behavioral biologists

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-14 23:21:39 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
托福阅读:Behavioral biologists+ u- d& [: N! {6 i
Behavioral biologists ask two basic types of questions about animal behavior: how animals behave and why they behave as they do. The &6how" questions seek to understand the proximate or immediate causes underlying a behavior at a particular time and place.
- g3 {( l! |& Q5 y/ }" u  For example, a biologist might want to explain the singing of a male white-throated sparrow in the spring in terms of hormonal or neural mechanisms. Such physiological causes of behavior are proximate factors. Alte:matively, another biologist might ask what purpose singing serves the sparrow, and then attempt to understand events in the evolution of birds that led to springtime singing. These are "why" questions that focus on ultimate causation, the evolutionary origin and purpose of behavior. These two types of questions are very independent approaches to behavior.3 |! N" G# ^* y  X8 v1 S0 W9 r4 c
  Questions about proximate causation examine how animals perform their various functions at the molecular, cellular, organismal, and population levels. The biological sciences that address proximate causes are known as experimental sciences because they use the experimental method of: (1) predicting how a system will respond to a disturbance, (2) making the disturbance, and (3) comparing the observed results with the predictions., E4 Y# y# a9 F) A6 s6 f- L
  Researchers repeat the experimental conditions many times to eliminate chance results that might lead to false conclusions. Questions about ultimate causation ask what produced biological systems and their distinctive properties through evolutionary time. The sciences dealing with ultimate causes are known as evolutionary sciences, and they mainly use the comparative method rather than experimentation. Researchers compare characteristics of molecular biology, cell biology, anatomy, development, and ecology among related species to identify patterns of variation.www.examw.com
: F: b4 X0 U' [8 V, y+ T& ^  Which sentence below best expresses the essential information in the highlighted sentence in paragraph l? Incorrect choices change the meaning in important ways or leave out essential information.
3 P& Q2 `, r& I; d6 T. n  A11 questions asked by behavioral biologists fall into two basic categories.
  |2 {' F: d2 `, w  Proximate and ultimate causation are distinct ways of thinking about behavior.) R# ~) V3 L. ^4 I# I
  "Why" questions and questions about ultimate causes require very different methods( `& `2 n8 [- b- _3 c
  Behavioral biologists must think very independently about important questions.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-19 10:31 , Processed in 0.161275 second(s), 21 queries .