QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 301|回复: 0

[托福阅读] 托福阅读:Character determines appearance

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-14 23:21:39 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
托福阅读:Character determines appearance
- A0 H9 w* M# N( T9 H If you exhibit positive traits such as honesty and helpfulness, the chances are that you will be perceived as a good looking person, for a new study has found that the perception of physical attractiveness is influenced by a person's personality.
3 ~8 C3 I; l& I8 E5 J: T% @  The study, led by Gary W. Lewandowski, Jr, found that people who exhibit negative traits, such as unfairness and rudeness, appear to be less physically attractive to observers.
$ q. D" x2 @$ l; i  p  In the study, the participants viewed photographs of opposite-sex individuals and rated them for attractiveness before and after being provided with information on personality traits.- b) f; Y' @+ R2 H& Q
  After personality information was received, participants also rated the desirability of each individual as a friend and as a dating partner.6 v6 a/ B, X* z
  Information on personality was found to significantly alter perceived desirability, showing that cognitive processes modify judgments of attractiveness.. B( ^- W) [. e
  "Perceiving a person as having a desirable personality makes the person more suitable in general as a close relationship partner of any kind," said Lewandowski.
$ K: i# S- T0 m4 {  o  The findings show that a positive personality leads to greater desirability as a friend, which leads to greater desirability as a romantic partner and, ultimately, to being viewed as more physically attractive.
1 T$ L4 r) u  N/ ?' W2 W. J: f  The findings remained consistent regardless of how "attractive" the individual was initially perceived to be, or of the participants' current relationship status or commitment level with a partner.) i: o% z3 F# A' F, V" r3 t% v. n; ]
  What would you think of this lady's physical attractiveness if she exhibited bad personal traits?* X3 |( B" r, ~. G% L, o! B  r) u
  "This research provides a more positive alternative by reminding people that personality goes a long way toward determining your attractiveness; it can even change people's impressions of how good looking you are," said Lewandowski.中 华 考 试 网+ a$ i* E- z( Z3 @& P1 p
  托福阅读材料译文0 _' p; \: J' K+ H
  如果你表现出诚实和乐于助人等美好品质,那么别人会觉得你的外表也很迷人。一项最新研究发现,一个人的性格会影响别人对他或她的外表吸引力的看法。2 T! j) w6 _1 `. L/ y8 o
  该项由盖里•W•勒万多维斯基负责的研究发现,人们认为,表现出不诚实和粗鲁等恶劣品质的人外表也不够吸引人。
4 @% J4 X5 `3 }& L$ |  研究对象首先观看了一组异性的照片,随后分别在得知照片中人物的性格特点之前和之后给他们的外表评分。& I, Y8 A8 S7 l+ r$ a1 A( |$ V
  研究对象在得知照片中人物的性格特点后,还对与其中每个人交朋友或做恋人的期望值进行了评分。
# b. ~# p( p& h! w+ S  研究人员发现,有关人物性格特点的信息大大改变了之前的喜好度评分,研究对象的认知过程改变了他们对照片中人物外表的评价。
! I; u4 \- N  W) G6 k' _6 l) _  勒万多维斯基说:“总的来说,如果人们认为一个人的性格较好,那么他们会觉得无论与这个人做朋友还是做恋人都更合适。”
9 S' t, x  p# v7 Z  研究结果表明,人们更期望与性格较好的人交朋友、成为恋人,从而会认为他们的外表更迷人。
: p* P! r' L8 k* o3 f# q* n# m  无论照片中人物给人的“第一印象”怎样、或者研究对象目前的情感关系状况以及与伴侣的亲密程度如何,研究结果都是一致的。
; z9 s5 r' a( S& y1 y  勒万多维斯基说:“该研究提出了一个更为积极的观点,它提醒人们,性格在很大程度上能决定你的吸引力;性格甚至能够改变人们对于你外表的印象。
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-19 08:44 , Processed in 0.372552 second(s), 21 queries .