QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 51|回复: 0

[托福阅读] 托福阅读:近半英国女性后悔读大学

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-14 23:21:39 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
托福阅读:近半英国女性后悔读大学
" m& @4 T( w+ g5 u6 L Vicky Tuck: 'I believe women should only go to university if they have a genuine interest in learning'.
7 y* z# I* A$ D# X9 ^5 T+ b: F# D  Young women are losing faith in the university system with nearly half believing it is not worth getting a degree.
& d' T6 O: N& l  ?3 y  Tuition fees and little chance of landinga good job make higher education an unattractive prospect for them, a study suggests.  w' L/ g7 m$ |7 s% G
  It found that nearly half of female graduates would not go to university if they had the chance again.www.examw.com. _2 ?/ s2 V0 a' G; ?* C
  The research will cause concern because it was carried out before the Government announced that fees will almost treble to ā9,000 in 2012.7 [2 K9 B1 c7 V$ {: I
  The findings have prompted warnings that a generation of ambitious young women will miss out on a high-flyingcareer and the opportunity to continue their education.
0 [2 K% C2 u( r# u$ G. {/ ?0 Y6 F2 u  Louise Court, editor of Cosmopolitan magazine, which conducted the survey, said young women seem to think university ‘a waste of time’.
6 B( B) i0 B; M! P/ t5 B0 H& ?  ‘It’s never been harder to be a young woman with ambition,’ she said. ‘Understandably, women are angry and frustrated about their future and this is having a damaging affect on their self-esteem.8 w+ h. n( R5 b7 N- ?
  The survey of 1,353 women also looked at the career prospects and financial outlook for women in 2011.: V3 R$ e2 H9 h$ v$ Z
  Two thirds of those questioned said they thought it would be ‘almost impossible’ to get their dream job and a quarter were unable to follow their preferred career.
6 M+ e" s2 q  _# w$ {  Only 14 per cent said they felt safe from the sack.) e! C8 s. j( R4 c7 N
  And the financial situation for graduates was especially bad, with half saying they had so much student debt they could not save.1 Z+ `0 h+ O: ]' i! s
  The same proportion believed they faced worse financial hardship than their parents.
* ?/ ^& `9 D. A* \- T+ {  One in seven women said they had been forced to postpone getting married because a wedding would be too expensive.# p% }+ ]- ^* b* g' B; j7 x% P+ @
  And more than one in six admitted that financial constraints had made them postpone trying to start a family.
$ ~' F# i1 b# ?% e  Vicky Tuck, a campaigner for women’s education and former head of Cheltenham Ladies College, said: ‘The rise in fees is going to make a lot of people reflect on why they are going to university.
8 {/ J" J4 _  g  ‘Before the introduction of fees it was not an automatic assumption that a degree would lead to a good job. It is only recently that we have seen that relationship.- y, E. \1 n$ Q( n$ H& d
  ‘I believe that women should only go to university if they have a genuine interest in learning, a precious opportunity. If they go purely to get a job, many will be disappointed.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-19 11:07 , Processed in 0.173794 second(s), 21 queries .