立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 111|回复: 1

[托福阅读] 托福考试辅导:名师阅读讲义(3)

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-14 23:21:39 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
  During the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, almost nothing was written about the
% G* G- P4 T% h  contributions of women during the colonial period and the early history of the newly
" k: u! d7 H# B. y& S  formed United States. Lacking the right to vote and absent from the seats of power,9 |1 R! }$ G4 s: I+ ]* K2 m+ y( ]9 x
  Line women were not considered an important force in history. Anne Bradstreet wrote some$ f' H8 e6 Q" [5 s
  (5)  significant poetry in the seventeenth century, Mercy Otis Warren produced the best, D; r, P5 z8 j+ H" G. H. P/ n
  contemporary history of the American Revolution, and Abigail Adams penned important. H7 ^3 Q% l$ I! }
  letters showing she exercised great political influence over her husband, John, the second
9 r1 _6 N, O* }( d& ]  President of the United States. But little or no notice was taken of these contributions.; f  D# L. T; i) z0 E+ l
  During these centuries, women remained invisible in history books.
3 C& Y% c# e! W2 Z  (10)  Throughout the nineteenth century, this lack of visibility continued, despite the efforts
# e8 o& ~# N) p6 j  \% K  of female authors writing about women. These writers, like most of their male
$ J- t" u. l  O7 M! S! S  counterparts, were amateur historians. Their writings were celebratory in nature, and5 R4 T6 K$ o2 k( v
  they were uncritical in their selection and use of sources.
' z1 C0 R  O4 f* f- u: e) ?9 K! x  During the nineteenth century, however, certain feminists showed a keen sense of3 j& F8 J4 u$ ^+ Y- k
  (15) history by keeping records of activities in which women were engaged. National,
+ Y: J+ A. o/ u1 s8 M! I0 l/ g9 \  regional, and local women's organizations compiled accounts of their doings. Personal
; V* `/ E- _; l  O( d& t  correspondence, newspaper clippings, and souvenirs were saved and stored. These sources" ^4 {; R' j4 c3 t7 j
  form the core of the two greatest collections of women's history in the United States; one
+ o9 O% B# i0 K3 i! P9 a  at the Elizabeth and Arthur Schlesinger Library at Radcliffe College, and the other the8 k/ H6 O* s% ]9 O' n6 D6 s
  (20) Sophia Smith Collection at Smith College. Such sources have provided valuable- O+ d9 t2 p9 ]' _
  materials for later generations of historians.3 `& ~( h- Z. H( U: t& ~2 P8 r
  Despite the gathering of more information about ordinary women during the
' Z/ i# T' q( h, O  nineteenth century, most of the writing about women conformed to the "great women"4 u3 g! |4 R5 k" h5 @- T, p0 H' M
  theory of history, just as much of mainstream American history concentrated on "great* r1 A& b0 _* E1 @2 X
  (25) men." To demonstrate that women were making significant contributions to American
$ A* H4 D2 g6 w$ k3 l/ m  life, female authors singled out women leaders and wrote biographies. or else important6 U1 S( z3 e7 L
  women produced their autobiographies. Most of these leaders were involved in public
! t/ [/ j+ Z+ S: ]$ _3 ~, R: y  life as reformers, activists working for women's right to vote, or authors, and were not0 V9 Q+ I0 r' W3 x& k
  representative at all of the great of ordinary woman. The lives of ordinary people  q% K/ w4 R/ J+ L
  (30) continued, generally, to be untold in the American histories being published.
2 m/ h" c* M& b$ G  9. In the last paragraph, the author mentions all of the following as possible roles of nineteenth-century "great women" EXCEPT
/ u% d! w! W: B- s' B- j6 m  (A) authors
8 d$ s5 \, u, u) L6 [  (B) reformers2 w) K* I: \/ R# y- B
  (C) activists for women's rights
9 l& v1 h- {4 f7 x( e/ }3 F! m6 r  (D) politicians
0 _0 Z! f% I" k2 {* n7 }  答案:D
# P" G1 e0 W& m; y2 I  Potash (the old name for potassium carbonate) is one of the two alkalis (the other
+ `# }* q% ~) ~* {2 `$ x- i) v, H  being soda, sodium carbonate) that were used from remote antiquity in the making of" y4 ~* M+ e, b4 s- I8 [4 _
  glass, and from the early Middle Ages in the making of soap: the former being the2 j# w& }+ n; T+ V- C9 T0 z
  Line product of heating a mixture of alkali and sand, the latter a product of alkali and
; Q/ B" w/ c' C  (5)  vegetable oil. Their importance in the communities of colonial North America need& |+ T3 z" t  ?
  hardly be stressed.
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-14 23:21:40 | 显示全部楼层

托福考试辅导:名师阅读讲义(3)

Potash and soda are not interchangeable for all purposes, but for glass-or soap-0 D& l: V; `2 V
  making either would do. Soda was obtained largely from the ashes of certain8 L) G1 X1 [% a7 l
  Mediterranean sea plants, potash from those of inland vegetation. Hence potash was
) W' {+ [! s0 L4 v( o# @1 h1 c  (10) more familiar to the early European settlers of the North American continent.
) D( q6 ]+ H0 h+ Z; U- o  The settlement at Jamestown in Virginia was in many ways a microcosm of the+ z9 E/ C+ H. D+ W% Y% f7 k* E2 C8 Q
  economy of colonial North America, and potash was one of its first concerns. It was
% U/ S5 b% ?7 e( V  required for the glassworks, the first factory in the British colonies, and was produced in( k4 r- y8 R5 Y% R! w
  sufficient quantity to permit the inclusion of potash in the first cargo shipped out of$ ]2 z5 N# b2 x! J+ w
  (15) Jamestown. The second ship to arrive in the settlement from England included among its: ]) h) S0 ]" `- n3 `$ K% \
  passengers experts in potash making.$ V6 V  A4 {" V9 P- l9 X
  The method of making potash was simple enough. Logs were piled up and burned in6 O2 k8 z( S8 N0 ?/ b6 @
  the open, and the ashes collected. The ashes were placed in a barrel with holes in the
. |, [" x, Z8 z; Z$ P  bottom, and water was poured over them. The solution draining from the barrel was
+ p% N' K7 Q6 H1 J$ e  (20) boiled down in iron kettles. The resulting mass was further heated to fuse the mass into
, p, g% ]8 y$ y1 L  what was called potash.
3 {/ U! n* y* Y* i. W  In North America, potash making quickly became an adjunct to the clearing of' ]5 p3 B# a6 j3 x& _
  land for agriculture, for it was estimated that as much as half the cost of clearing land
2 s: C" W- O3 }0 C% B  could be recovered by the sale of potash. Some potash was exported from Maine and New! }$ L" o# |3 Q! L4 Z# R1 M
  (25) Hampshire in the seventeenth century, but the market turned out to be mainly domestic,
+ J% @1 e/ Y; b8 t6 V3 Y9 [) k  consisting mostly of shipments from the northern to the southern colonies. For despite  _% g/ r% J; X4 ^
  the beginning of the trade at Jamestown and such encouragements as a series of acts "to& A$ p- `0 b% a0 k, E7 O5 r3 J
  encourage the making of potash," beginning in 1707 in South Carolina, the softwoods
  j& w5 V8 Z* B& k0 X6 s  in the South proved to be poor sources of the substance.  b' C0 N" P& m  E3 R
  1. What aspect of potash does the passage mainly discuss?' a2 y" r3 e/ G% M3 l, }5 d, l  _
  (A) How it was made6 i: Y8 o& ^: T6 e
  (B) Its value as a product for export
8 i- X/ y5 j( M6 x8 T  (C) How it differs from other alkalis
* ]' N* `" g" ^  Z- h% T  (D) Its importance in colonial North America
, ]! k3 P6 n+ B( r3 b" w0 m. L  答案:C, Q, e' ^' u% @# Q, f8 G7 G& v; S
  2. All of the following statements are true of both potash and soda EXPECT:! [" K' {, W2 X3 g# Z6 C3 G
  (A) They are alkalis./ k  _! a8 ^! J
  (B) They are made from sea plants.
% D* i" d$ e2 }9 ~# x) O. s  (C) They are used in making soap.
7 J5 ~  i' |" }0 ]' W7 w! p' t/ t$ E  (D) They are used in making glass.8 k$ m) g! I8 o4 Q9 }. s
  答案:B9 }" B0 a5 A1 z: K$ ?2 a
  7. According to paragraph 4, all of following were needed for making potash EXCEPT
8 F9 T9 ^8 \3 M: D7 V6 [5 G$ x  (A) wood$ E$ y% M1 a$ h" E
  (B) fire
" \- k& P) _9 R/ N6 E( k0 ^9 W* K  (C) sand
3 A  g$ V& J* O. o2 P6 G  (D) water
  x. k) j# |3 d5 h/ z  答案:C</p>
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-6 01:50 , Processed in 0.189454 second(s), 23 queries .