QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 74|回复: 0

[托福阅读] 托福考试辅导:名师阅读讲义(7)

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-14 23:21:39 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
  Wrigley's Chewing Gum' r' j% r" ^. C0 q$ g6 d5 t
  1    Wrigley's chewing gum was actually developed as a premium to be given away with other products rather than as a primary product for sale. As a teenager, William Wrigley Jr. was working for his father in Chicago selling soap that had been manufactured in his cents, and this selling price did not leave a good profit margin for the merchants. Wrigley convinced his father to raise the price to ten cents and to give away cheap umbrellas as a premium for the merchants. This worked successfully, confirming to Wrigley that the use of premiums was an effective sales tool.
; V1 w( l6 k. n5 P8 H/ B  2    Wrigley then established his own company; in his company he was selling soap as a wholesaler, giving baking soda away as a premium, and using a cookbook to promote each deal. Over time, the baking soda and cookbook became more popular than the soap, so Wrigley began a new operation selling baking soda. He began hunting for a new premium item to give away with sales of baking soda; he soon decided on chewing gum. Once again, when Wrigley realized that demand for the premium was stronger than the demand for the original product, he created the Wm. Wrigley Jr. Company to produce and sell chewing gum.
% f( D$ R; I+ _/ }* W  p5 i  3    Wrigley started out with two brands of gum, Vassar and Lotta Gum, and soon introduced Juicy Fruit and Spearment. The latter two brands grew in popularity, while the first two were phased out. Juicy Fruit and Spearment are two of Wrigley's main brands to this day.% b* g9 j+ L) J! F# ?
  11. It is NOT indicated in paragraph 1 that young William was working4 o2 Y* n3 M! n
  A in Chicago
# A4 M9 |+ }1 |1 g2 M  B for his father
) o- {) W( E  w* g* {  C as a soap salesman; ^" P/ A9 v1 {: S/ k
  D in his father's factory# K, a- {, Z6 o
  12. According to paragraph 1, it is NOT true that the soap that young Wrigley was selling7 R* ^" \) w8 H+ Y
  A was originally well-liked
/ N: L9 @0 M/ A' M  e  B was originally priced at five cents
( y: p* I; J) F1 o( ~" ^& G  C originally provided little profit for merchants# ~; [) \7 j/ K: _' ]" M
  D eventually became more popular with merchants/ r! I; J. `# s. |& t
  13. According to paragraph 2, it is NOT true that, when Wrigley first founded his own company,    he was
% z* |' g; l/ y/ M3 J$ y1 Y2 T  u& _  A selling soap' }) x8 d: X2 n+ ~3 z/ f' y
  B selling chewing gum
; J2 v  p$ u2 H. M! n  C giving away cookbooks/ }) k. [' e+ S
  D using baking soda as a premium' F/ K; P8 u4 Z6 v5 x
  14. It is NOT mentioned in paragraph 2 that Wrigley later
7 R) U7 u7 T+ m, l8 |# l  A sold baking soda' p) a5 R7 _( K* X
  B used chewing gun as a premium to sell baking soda3 @# i4 K) f7 u) T6 i# a* ^
  C sold chewing gum
. t, z+ p: o+ a1 c& Y1 B0 I  D used baking soda as a premium to sell chewing gum' j9 q' Z& q% r0 U4 C) C) T
  15. According to paragraph 3, the Wm. Wrigley Jr. Company did all of the following EXCEPT
. s. x9 W, i) J* `/ ^2 q% r( x  A begin with two brands of gum% L- K' E- d+ _. L8 M3 G5 a
  B add new brands to the original two% I( |! i7 i- n
  C phase out the last two brands
; K8 }  H) K$ y( E' z* a  D phase out the first two brands
1 a5 {0 x% O) c! I5 ^: m  参考答案:DABDC
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-6 04:20 , Processed in 0.484245 second(s), 21 queries .