QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 60|回复: 0

[托福写作] 托福写作:写作时必备抽象词(1)

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-14 23:46:10 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
abandon: & I  e' ^( n5 C8 _
用法:If you abandon a place, thing, or person, you leave them forever or for a long time, especially when you should not do so. 6 f- {+ j# B7 b  Q
例句:As time passed some rituals were abandoned, but the stories, later called myths, persisted and provided material for art and drama.(1995-08)
( j7 s5 A( x& ^( T# V8 _
7 N% B8 l' @2 O, b$ v* eabsorb:
  ^0 a% c9 k6 T" |) z用法:①If an object absorbs something such as liquid, gas, or heat, the liquid or heat enters the object or is drawn into it.
, o/ m$ {# |4 d3 S* Y8 r2 g例句:Large animals that inhabit the desert have evolved a number of adaptations for reducing the effects of extreme heat. One adaptation is to be light in color, and to reflect rather than absorb the Sun’s rays.(1997-01)
+ ~% \9 {' \/ v2 O4 x1 ^②If a group is absorbed into a larger group, it becomes part of the larger group. 3 p3 `* s! P% m- ^" p
③If you absorb information, you learn and understand it.
5 n# A- ~/ C2 e; l. h8 y④If something absorbs a force or shock, it reduces its effect. # d2 n" z% _# N, D3 e
⑤If a system or society absorbs changes, effects, or costs, it is able to deal with them without being badly affected.
! J2 D/ u# U- \7 z/ U# X+ g⑥If something absorbs something such as money, space, or time, it uses up a great deal of it.
9 q) v1 S7 a' s- b8 r1 f  }  D" Z⑦If something absorbs you, it interests you a great deal and takes up all your attention and energy. ! z2 }; R) X( }' w/ R  S2 @
abstract:①An abstract idea or way of thinking is based on general ideas rather than on real things and events.
" w9 t+ m/ h7 R②Abstract art makes use of shapes and patterns rather than showing people or things they actually are.
& x: k) v+ H# R$ f③An abstract of an article, document, or speech is a short piece of writing that summarizes the main points of it.
: M. m; L9 O  I3 Q6 v$ D1 M5 R④If you abstract something from somewhere, you take it from there. 4 N, ]" s4 ^' I! M
! L" l( {4 o4 b0 V) C" \4 l2 K9 k
academic: Academic is used to describe things that relate to the work done in schools, colleges, and universities, especially work which involves studying and reasoning rather than practical or technical skills.
2 L3 f# {. J( P+ m" E& m2 W
/ U. a# C, P# i1 F+ L8 {acquire:①If you acquire something, you buy or obtain it for yourself, or someone gives it to you. / @1 v* y) b; c4 S
②If you acquire something, such as a skill or a habit, you gradually learn or develop it.
3 a, Q* L3 @% j: L6 J③If you describe something as an acquired taste, you mean that a lot of people do not like it when they first experience it, but often start to like it when they get to know it better. + E: k5 ?% k& s* e

4 A" o, |$ y+ D6 z7 Kadapt:①If you adapt to a new situation, you change your ideas or behavior in order to deal with it successfully.
4 C  l1 n3 C* }- y②If you adapt something, you change it to make it suitable for a new purpose or situation.
2 R9 t' E0 y0 K$ ?% \③If you adapt a book or play, you change it so that it can be made into a film or a television programme.
  D# ~" B& @4 Y7 G" Q1 F
" y5 V) C; k( _# Z4 {! Y  hcapable: ①If a person or thing is capable of doing something, they have the ability, capacity, or potential to do it. / b# o1 b0 g- \$ u  g9 I# T( r. j
②A capable person is competent, efficient, or practical.
) ]7 C/ I3 h3 a# ]' h/ U% L  ~$ u5 w/ }" c. b* i0 W" ^0 Y" N) m: C
capture: ①If you capture someone or something, you catch them or take possession of them, especially in a war, or after a struggle or chase.   g; c2 ^* I* C' b% Z
②If you capture something that you are trying to obtain in competition with other people, you succeeding obtaining it.
1 D- ~) b8 E# b0 ~5 s- F③If something captures your attention or imagination, you begin to be interested in it or excited by it.
$ a, m; j9 G, \' d9 k# @- L④If something or someone captures a particular quality, feeling, or atmosphere, they represent or express it successfully. ( |4 s- a* R* L2 Z1 a. r
⑤If an event is captured in a photograph or on film, it is photographed or filmed. ) \, x6 f/ x2 |
, `  U8 `3 v/ m  |$ ^
channel: ①If you do something through a particular channel, that is the system or organization that you use to achieve your aims or to communicate. / S% O" H. |- E! g3 f3 |
②If you channel money or resources into something, you arrange for them to be used for that thing, rather than for a wide range of things.
+ ]" J7 h9 a1 }6 C0 z- _, x) D③If you channel your energies or emotions into something, you concentrate on or do that one thing, rather than a range of things.
% e) K) d6 P( B% L  E# ~
* M- o$ f# o/ x! D; pcheck: ①To check something, usually something bad, means to stop it from spreading or continuing. ! z; W4 c: t2 m( c
②If someone or something is held or kept in check, they are prevented from becoming too great or powerful. 8 s1 N9 O7 M+ m, o

7 M/ J0 ~9 k1 |+ g; VClaim
+ A; H% j6 q( N7 l" ^) R  W用法:①If you say that someone claims that something is true, you mean they say that it is true but you are not sure whether or not they are telling the truth.
1 x$ N* ^8 H" s2 y; v② A claim is something which someone says which they cannot prove and which may be false. 6 G- h& Q6 y0 ^
例句:①The advantages claimed for such foods over conventionally grown and marketed food products are now being debated.(1995-08)
+ N( A! ?( W$ G# Q6 a2 V② As a result, claims that eating a diet consisting entirely of organically grown foods prevents or cures disease or provides other benefits to health have become widely publicized and form the basis for folklore.(1995-08)
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-16 01:47 , Processed in 0.123357 second(s), 21 queries .