QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 136|回复: 0

[托福写作] 托福写作:写作时必备抽象词(4)

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-14 23:46:10 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Controversy & {3 r4 D7 h' G& a9 X" B" |
用法:Controversy is a lot of discussion and argument about something, often involving strong feelings of anger or disapproval. ) _# k1 [  y# m& x6 Q1 I$ K6 p
例句:An important controversy centering on the question of human effects on prehistoric wildlife Line concerns the sudden disappearance of so many species of large animals at or near the end of the Pleistocene epoch.(2002-01)
" M% K' m  A: }* ]+ M9 |$ r2 j5 b) {% V& \9 F, a5 ?
Critical
  h# ^, B; m2 }' `% Q& V' R用法:①A critical time, factor, or situation is extremely important.
3 B: N1 B, E2 p1 Q3 j. x( B, A5 A1 ^② A critical situation is very serious and dangerous. 7 C4 O( @  U$ D
例句:① Observations of imprinting led to major concept that has been applied in child Development” the critical period.(2001-05)
" L1 a# [. }) M' ^! E* H; g② Biological diversity has become widely recognized as a critical conservation issue only in the past two decades.(1998-08) - |% `1 y3 `7 v( c+ |
# Z% N+ k) A# m% z
Debate
9 j' j0 I7 ^8 v- C. u$ N用法:① A debate is a discussion about a subject on which people have different views.
: R& O; [' p5 v( P0 S② A debate is a formal discussion, for example in a parliament or institution, in which people express different opinions about a particular subject and then vote on it. ! w" \4 R$ p: a( P/ n( F. ?/ [, o
③ If people debate a topic, they discuss it fairly formally, putting forward different views. You can also say that one person debates a topic with another person. 6 m2 y: Z# p: o! e
例句:① The advantages claimed for such foods over conventionally grown and marketed food products are now being debated.(1995-08) % @/ s. z( N& m6 h5 x5 c
② Sound bites in news and answers to questions in debates increasingly sound like advertisements. (1995-05) : Z2 p) R* B/ I; n) g5 X% F
7 @% i2 D3 H6 o/ d' H
Define 2 J( ]1 z2 G, ~) }4 c
用法:If you define something, you show, describe, or state clearly what it is and what its limits are, or what it is like.
: L2 }4 g! {4 T" F! K1 ~( N! Y例句:If we define residence time as the average time for a water molecule to pass through one of the three reservoirs-atmosphere, continent, and ocean-we see that the times are very different.(1998-10) % j3 i3 S* z6 `# u% u3 Y

4 `7 i8 J  u. LDeliberate   _+ t+ a/ f# x+ U
用法:① If you do something that is deliberate, you planned or decided to do it beforehand, and so it happens on purpose rather than by chance. ( X# ]  h0 U' |/ j
② If a movement or action is deliberate, it is done slowly and carefully.
" J9 W1 m7 M, m1 n/ M; d' D③ If you deliberate, you think about something carefully, especially before making a very important decision.
: n, o* Z$ E+ J! E6 F# t例句:①On this perfect surface, the artist would sketch a composition with chalk, refine it with inks, and then begin the deliberate process of applying thin layers of egg tempera paint (egg yolk in which pigments are suspended) with small brushes.(1996-08) $ k9 C+ @1 N2 k5 w8 a; I
② Every step in the process was slow and deliberate. The quick-drying tempera demanded that the artist know exactly where each stroke be placed before the brush met the panel, and it required the use of fine brushes.(1996-08) + r7 a2 `8 e) b( b& F$ j7 K

& Y, z  T9 s) |" I, \  b! ~Deposit
/ `. w6 I0 H+ a1 Q$ M用法:①A deposit is a sum of money which is part of the full price of something, and which you pay when you agree to buy it.
7 [- d. w. _4 S: m" |7 b- _8 Y. }7 \② If you deposit something somewhere, you put it where it will be safe until it is needed again.
' R7 a6 [$ e. k7 R  H例句:①The deposits at Holzmaden, Germany, present an interesting case for analysis. The ichthyosaur remains are found in black, bituminous marine shales deposited about 190 million years ago.(1995-10)
1 t; P2 V2 K; m8 i1 ?3 L② The ichthyosaur remains are found in black, bituminous marine shales deposited about 190 million years ago.(1995-10) 4 u- e8 X+ d. X' `4 n6 {
: m. J+ X1 n- E
Derive ' S' ^7 b$ P2 v* C& Y) ]( J0 z+ ^
用法:If you derive something such as pleasure or benefit from a person or from something, you get it from them. (FORMAL)
$ M+ B+ L; B2 Q( H; O例句:But the expansion also derived from a trend toward earlier marriages and an increase in the average size of families.(1995-08)
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-15 16:02 , Processed in 0.190081 second(s), 21 queries .