QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 49|回复: 0

[托福写作] 托福写作:写作时必备抽象词(17)

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-14 23:46:10 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Prevail  
& \/ V3 C! n3 f* q/ I用法:①If a proposal, principle ,or opinion prevails , it gains influence or is accepted, often after a struggle or argument.  
' H& y- [$ |6 J例句:After the 1870’ s, a number of important authors began to reject the romanticism that had prevailed immediately following the Civil War of 1861-1865 and turned instead to realism. (2001-08)  8 h8 P8 p2 K5 h& T/ j* K2 x2 t
②If a situation , attitude, or custom prevails in a particular place at a particular time, it is normal or most common in that place at that time.  
& \5 X0 C( u/ X' s7 v例句:This attitude prevailed even as the number of urban dwellers increased and cities became an essential feature of the national landscape. Gradually, economic reality overcame ideology.(1998-10)  # t( I' Y6 n: \" c
③If one side in a battle, contest, or dispute prevails , it wins.  
1 o: e- Q" X5 I" x% P④If you prevail upon someone to do something, you succeed in persuading them to do it.  * r" v; m& C4 [; a0 x
0 q# n; ?8 T, V# P2 i
Presume  
) q+ |, S& {+ E/ I, O( ?. c2 f2 H用法:①If you presume that something is the case, you think that it is the case, although you are not certain.  
" V# s% J7 m# L- t% b* H$ z②If you say that someone presume to do something, you mean that they do it even though they have no right to do it.  
* O# a5 w: U# a: N, u③If an idea, theory, or plan presumes certain facts, it regards them as true so that they can be used as a basis for further ideas and theories.  & c% s- G( \; D
2 h5 F6 L8 y7 R, b' q; |
Proclaim  , `1 f9 v% _4 k( x9 B2 M2 k
用法:①If people proclaim something, they formally make it known to the public.=declare  
. q( Z; x: W( U, x; H& W4 S# M例句:Advocates of organic foods – a term whose meaning varies greatly – frequently proclaim that such products are safer and more nutritious than others.(1995-08)  - X6 A, O1 }0 T& ^1 R% F4 f) }
②If you proclaim something, you state it in an emphatic way.  
  r$ Y1 m- z" O% Q例句:Their distrust was caused, in part, by a national ideology that proclaimed farming the greatest occupation and rural living superior to urban living.(1998-10)
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-14 23:14 , Processed in 0.153534 second(s), 21 queries .