立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 115|回复: 1

[综合辅导] 新托福口语练习材料:宠物话题(3)

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-14 23:51:59 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
5. Do Animals Communicate?   When we think of communication, we normally think of using words-talking face-to-face, writing messages and so on. But in fact we communicate far more in other ways. Our eyes and facial expressions usually tell the truth even when our words do not.# f0 `3 J4 g/ C# _' w; _
  Then there are gestures, often unconscious: raising the eyebrows, rubbing the nose, shrugging the shoulders, tapping the fingers, nodding and shaking the head. There is also the even more subtle "body-language" of posture: are you sitting-or standing-with arms or legs crossed? Is that person standing with hands in pockets, held in front of the body or hidden behind? Even the way we dress and the colours we wear communicate things to others.. l1 S# V% a8 a3 H, Q& Z4 T0 [" d
  So, do animals communicate? Not in words, although a parrot might be trained to repeat words and phrases which it doesn’t understand. But, as we have learnt, there is more to communication than words.0 h2 S9 c, W- j" G: \' x. ~2 R
  Take dogs for example. They bare their teeth to warn, wag their tails to welcome and stand firm, with hair erect, to challenge. These signals are surely the canine equivalent of the human body-language of facial expression, gesture and posture.* z; z& u# r. s7 @9 |
  Colour can be important means of communication for animals. Many birds and fish change colour, for example, to attract partners during the mating season. And mating itself is commonly preceded by a special dance in which both partners participate.
6 O3 B, N3 Z" t2 p% x8 y  6. She’s All for the Birds!- K$ c. M, Z' A) V# [; O
  Twice a week, 58-year-old Mrs. Winifred Cass shops in the market for her main supplies, "topping up" daily by calling at local shops on her way home from work. But she’s not buying family groceries!
1 |" T+ P5 o- D" U  She returns home laden with heavy bags of mixed hen corn, pigeon corn, peanuts and large packets of bird food to feed her larger "family," the wild birds of Leeds. And she’s been doing this for 16 years.
) K5 S8 m5 [) A  @  Daily, she feeds the birds which frequent her garden, the area around the shop where she works part-time, and several patches of waste-ground near her home. Then, twice every week, she loads the carrying basket with bags of grain on to her tricycle and sets out to pedal the 20-nubyte rude you to the city center.
/ n% u: \6 h& s' B/ p  Y  "In the morning, birds on my own roof at home hang almost upside down trying to see me through the windows." She laughed. "In severe conditions last winter, I had as many as four robins in my garden at the same time, though they’re well known to be territorial birds.
- E$ l# p) A9 j% e  "It’s amazing how many different kinds of birds I see in the city itself. In park Square, as well as the usual starlings, pigeons and sparrows, there are blue tits, great tits, thrushes, doves, and sometimes even seagulls."' Z" u3 L1 E" Y0 z. Y1 C: E8 ?5 p
  It all started when Winifred was working at a café. She used to throw out stale bread and buns, and developed such an interest in the wild birds which accepted her offerings that she started taking food along to those in City Square as well.
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-14 23:52:00 | 显示全部楼层

新托福口语练习材料:宠物话题(3)

On one occasion, an old lady sitting in the square remarked that the birds could do with a more nutritious diet. So Winifred began buying corn for them.   "In the end, I was carrying so much weight and tramping so far that my feel and arms really ached," she said. "I tried using wheeled shoppers, but with the weight of all that corn they were breaking within weeks! So I splashed out and bought this tricycle."
: @% y4 @3 N. {/ Y" q  [  Winifred has come across other wild-life on her travels, too. "I stop to feed families of hedgehogs which I found at the side of the railway near the park," she said.
) E1 G4 P1 F: w8 q1 E  Despite her love of birds, she’d never want to keep one because she can’t bear seeing them caged.
+ k8 [; ]5 v, w) l+ ^  Disaster struck recently when a car reversed into her parked trike, damaging its wheels. But two local business men, hearing of her activities, decided kindly to help by replacing the wheels for her.1 Z$ W; W! c0 r
  So now the "Bird Woman of Leeds" is back in action again, doing the job she loves best-caring for the host of feathered friends who have come to rely on her.* w4 F2 r4 n; r4 v1 I
  7. Too Many Pets in France
% i- u' M  ~4 b  In France a campaign has been launched to warn against the danger of a threatening over-population... of pets! The country is the second most densely populated country in the world as far as domestic animals are concerned. At the moment it is inhabited by more than 81/2 million dogs and almost as many cats. Every second family in Paris owns one or more pets, which cause problems of hygiene that cannot be solved. In the year 2000 France will have more than 15 million dogs if no drastic measures are taken to stop this increase.9 s1 r* ]$ v7 R; i
  The French organization for the protection of animals has appealed to the owners to have their dogs and cats of both sexes sterilized, because the animals themselves are in danger of becoming the first victims. Every summer, when the holiday-exodus begins, thousands of dogs and cats are abandoned, because their owners, unable to take them along, do not want to or cannot find homes where their pets will be looked after during their absence. Only one of three of there stray animals can be adopted, the other two must be killed., X' @" o+ l4 e& |
  A great number of pet-owners, however, object to sterilization on grounds of "inadmissible cruelty".
# y& K" {/ s+ O! R( h3 c! z  8. Pets Eat Better Than People, d) }9 e+ w  n: f& b. k
  "My mouth watered as I imagined the lovely soup I could make from some bones in the butcher’s window. There was a lot of meat on them, too. So I went in and bought some. ’Certainly, one pound of bones for your dog, madam,’ said the butcher brightly. My next stop was at eh fish shop, where I asked for some cheap fish, ’For your cat?’ asked the assistant. As you may have guessed, neither bones nor fish were for pets-they were for me, a pensioner. But it made me think that many animals eat better meals than people!"
2 x/ _. U* w9 D" b" B  9. A Birthday Present for a Dog!
. f5 B4 O- Y9 _# X  "We have a friend who works in a Dog Parlour Where they sell coats for dogs. A customer, choosing a coat, tried to describe her dog and the saleswoman suggested she bring the dog in so that they could fit him. Horrified, the customer replied that she couldn’t do that as it was for the dog’s birthday present and she didn’t want him to see it!"
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-16 05:27 , Processed in 0.505364 second(s), 23 queries .