立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 90|回复: 1

[阅读辅导] 托业阅读词汇附中英文注释(6)

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-15 00:26:22 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
  surging—— To increase suddenly. Used of electric current or voltage猛增=accelerating
" D4 ?* v' l% q9 ~& g  surpass—— To be or go beyond, as in degree or quality; exceed胜过=exceed, outrun- m; H" @& Y- E- `8 U0 q9 ^- s
  sustain—— To keep in existence; maintain继续生存;维持=maintain3 b+ @3 P, F7 ]
  sustenance—— Something, especially food, that sustains life or health营养物,尤指食物=fare Food and drink; diet食物和饮料1 L' y' E; v2 u" t
  Means of livelihood生计=livelihood* b# O. Y3 v+ s( A
  supplement——Something added to complete a thing, make up for a deficiency, or extend or strengthen the whole补充物,用来完成某事、补充不足、扩展或加强=extension
" V9 y: Y1 K1 W/ ^8 U* P+ [  An addition that increases the area, influence, operation, or contents of something扩大# U3 p( e( R" [* R" ~
  supreme——Greatest in importance, degree, significance, character, or achievement最重要的=outstanding7 x4 {0 v- C7 x# s# t) d% s
  succinct——Characterized by clear, precise expression in few words; concise and terse简明的=concise
+ K6 W: B" }- u9 X4 o( @. l% |/ S  sufficient——Being as much as is needed充足的=adequate' H+ F! l  o# Z
  sumptuous——Of a size or splendor suggesting great expense; lavish豪华的;花费奢侈的=luxurious
+ O! v# Y6 A1 @: U+ w9 V3 P5 s  substantial——Considerable in importance, value, degree, amount, or extent有重大价值的=considerable Worthy of consideration; significant重要的) |( ]5 |0 Y7 ^- m4 C- Z: H- O& X
  substitute——One that takes the place of another; a replacement代用品=replacement, in place of代替/ E. j% x% [( w9 w& U
  subsidize——To assist or support with a subsidy以津贴补助=finance To supply funds to给…提供资金! B9 R4 v* \% e2 h0 Q8 u8 ?( ]$ g
  subtle——So slight as to be difficult to detect or analyze; elusive纤细的,细小的=slight; u2 q! O8 ?7 b: c. m% x
  submit——提出,提交=present提出;呈递2 J" x5 [) r6 M4 I* T% Q
  subsidy——Monetary assistance granted by a government to a person orsgroupsin support of an enterprise regarded as being in the public interest补助金=financing融通资金" o6 a% @! l/ N0 B$ b% {
  subject to ——在……条件下;易受……的侵袭;受控制=expose to, susceptible to: q% t3 o( J& v5 B5 b  B
  stretch——A continuous or unbroken length, area, or expanse连续不断的长度,地区或空间=span The extent or measure of space between two points or extremities, as of a bridge or roof; the breadth跨度两点或两端间的空间
% J& T' O5 [2 Z  strike——To engage in a strike against an employer罢工=walkout
1 H& y" N8 a' v' O8 D5 ^  To come to; attain来到;到达= make contact with
$ F7 d7 q' {* c% S& Y0 n$ t1 K  striking—— Arresting the attention and producing a vivid impression on the sight or the mind.惹人注目的=prominent Immediately noticeable; conspicuous显眼的) h& s- x- W/ Y
  stringent—— Imposing rigorous standards of performance; severe严格的=strict
; h& J% u1 U+ X9 ^  stimulus—— Something that incites or rouses to action; an incentive激发物=motivate
% F' p8 k; Z; m  strain ——To pull, draw, or stretch tight拉紧=tension The act or process of stretching something tight拉紧
# [2 b, h8 x$ C, y  stationary—— Not capable of being moved; fixed不能被移动的;固定的=fixed, immobile
% t8 A: [; L/ e* u  status——Position relative to that of others; standing地位=standing
0 D2 W. c7 e# W# _  sticky——shavingsthe property of adhering or sticking to a surface; adhesive粘的=adhere, cement5 {/ h) m. f9 L
  staple—— A basic or principal element or feature主要成分,基本成分=basic element. \2 H, K) G/ Z1 w7 X) u+ O, D$ h
  squirt—— To issue forth in a thin forceful stream or jet; spurt喷=spurt out v.喷出* L! F) N8 m) k
  staggering—— Causing great astonishment, amazement, or dismay; overwhelming令人大为吃惊、惊讶或沮丧的;使束手无策的=overwhelming8 A& T0 h) L/ C7 i8 r) z
  spur—— To incite or stimulate刺激,鞭策=stimulate
% e5 n* D; X8 C6 |  speculate about—— To assume to be true without conclusive evidence推测=hypothesize To assert as a hypothesis假设
! v' D4 E4 U6 I% ^  spinal——Of, relating to, or situated near the spine or spinal cord; vertebral脊柱的=backbone
3 |2 ~$ N$ O2 ?  spark—— To set in motion; activate发动;触发=bring about引起;致使;造成;达成# c$ ?& E  K3 J  u# {& ]
  spawn—— To give rise to; engender造成;使产生=create
0 i1 i+ c% {3 X% g7 \  solemn—— Deeply earnest, serious, and sober庄严的,极认真的,严肃的=serious
% j+ P% e+ h( ?" P: D; E8 C  slope——declivity A downward slope, as of a hill斜坡
! h" n+ h! T9 K3 `/ L% J5 v  smother—— To suffocate (another)使窒息=eliminate To get rid of; remove消灭;消除. B7 G* y  H$ j! ^  i
  snap—— To pull apart or break with a snapping sound折断=break
4 Q3 H) Z9 j6 D  x" i8 L  signify—— To denote; mean表示…的意思=denote" m' x6 [9 k$ g1 [* o1 O" Q
  simultaneously——同时存在[发生]地=concurrently同时发生的,并存的;合作的
* L: F* x; h9 Y, ]% z1 Z  skepticism—— A doubting or questioning attitude or state of mind; dubiety怀疑态度=doubt
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-15 00:26:23 | 显示全部楼层

托业阅读词汇附中英文注释(6)

shield—— To protect or defend with or as if with a shield; guard保护、防卫=protect
1 ^3 u7 I! l: r8 z4 g! P  secrete—— To conceal in a hiding place; cache躲藏=produce??
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-7-4 04:16 , Processed in 0.243891 second(s), 23 queries .