立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 97|回复: 0

[GRE模拟] 新GRE小短文阅读练习题十六

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-15 12:40:43 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
16  Why save endangered species?  For the general public, endangered 7 A- e  D0 c4 {5 i- d* s1 \+ F
species appear to be little more than biological oddities.  A very dif-; X$ B! A- d# n6 @: Y6 i/ e
ferent perception is gained from considering the issue of extinction in a 1 j! e8 j% ~1 D9 B& F7 p
wider context.  The important point is that many major social advances 0 A2 ?  ?6 s. d. u9 ~' V9 i: r
have been made on the basis of life forms whose worth would never have
# C4 q; ]& `7 nbeen perceived in advance.  Consider the impact of rubber-producing
! \9 C* q1 E) R% @& G- rplants on contemporary life and industry:  approximately  two-thirds of the
; G: X* Y0 n+ ?, P+ x! lworld's rubber supply comes from rubber-producing plants and is made
  X4 X/ A4 U9 {/ hinto objects as diverse as rubber washers and rubber boots.! H: \( Z& f6 P$ O& I

6 O4 ]) a$ g5 }Any of the following facts could be used as illustrative examples in addi-
6 `- n: Q& q0 e8 ^4 w* otion to the example of rubber-producing plants EXCEPT:3 d' B* M) _7 Z1 }  B5 X) I8 c
1 l/ f: Z3 r- I# y5 o4 F; {
      The discovery of the vaccine for smallpox resulted from observing ( s+ i- n2 Y' \- S4 U
        the effect of the cowpox virus on the hands of dairy workers.  ' n3 T3 n7 M2 {" Q
      The major source of our pharmaceutical supplies is plants, some of 1 \7 t( W9 W+ d% v+ d8 a, L% ]7 q1 Q
        them commonly thought of as weeds.  2 S: o' B, @( a. D+ N
      Certain antibiotics were originally derived from mold growing on
; T) a& c/ p9 y8 f/ L" t# r        cantaloupes.  , D& k! P$ A  F0 [
      Plastic is a unique product derived from petroleum and petroleum by-2 D& m6 ~: U9 {& {- }' J
        products.  ( Z2 [1 }* t9 h6 s; ^% u/ Q
      Hamsters and other rodents have played an important role in labo-1 B! x. k1 s; n* A: Q. A6 t; t
        rator y tests of medicine for use on humans.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-7-28 21:54 , Processed in 1.008257 second(s), 21 queries .