立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 95|回复: 0

[GRE模拟] 新GRE小短文阅读练习题六十六

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-15 12:40:43 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
In Bassaria a group of that country’s most senior judges has criticized the uniform man- 6 M, D( x2 @5 d( W4 H1 Z% J% J' O
datory sentences recently introduced for certain specific crimes.  The judges argue that  
; F- A" i8 t3 B& ~such sentences, by depriving them of all discretion in setting sentences, make it impossi-
5 z( H6 m) j7 {5 R% pble for them to consider either aggravating or extenuating circumstances and so make it  
  h  X0 @' Q4 |6 V  Oimpossible to achieve true justice---the fitting of the severity of the punishment to the gravity
2 U& n) V- P2 }) g. Cof the particular crime. / y8 ^, k, K' D0 U1 j& Y/ |. w. o, [

/ i9 A2 p6 g8 t) F- mWhich of the following, if true, provides the strongest evidence for the claim that in 7 @* [7 _" o" Y4 r1 |
Bassaria the newly introduced mandatory sentences are not necessarily a change
* w& w- L" c5 I9 A# X$ J% \for the worse with respect to achieving true justice as defined in the argument?
! T+ O/ u5 u+ U  " N5 H. R5 U' X( ^, Y
     A Before mandatory sentencing, judges in eastern Bassaria imposed strikingly differ-
/ j2 ^- d' h& Y) {       ent sentences from those in western Bassaria for equally grave instances of the  
, t2 F% N" u3 M- m8 r       same kind of offense.   
5 s) S3 p, A) c% M    B  In Bassaria the frequency of crimes that have been made subject to mandatory  
4 a9 T% m* @+ V* o       sentences is lower now than it was just prior to the introduction of mandatory  
/ N7 w* `- U/ T& e$ q0 z* i: I: w       sentencing.   
: m4 j/ z# b8 o. }( S    C  The law introducing mandatory sentences was passed in the legislature of Bassaria  " h1 a5 o7 p7 S
       by a large majority and is unlikely to be repealed in the foreseeable future.   
) d, A) n5 F6 `, l* m" K    D  There used to be a wide difference between the minimum and the maximum sen-
. C8 n5 y* F. r       tences allowed by law in cases of crimes now subject to mandatory sentences.   
/ L4 J# t, t" a     E In Bassaria judges are appointed for life and are thus not easily influenced by politi-
; `3 |6 n; m8 I       cal pressure groups.   5 P( a4 w4 X6 n$ y/ i8 D( |5 X8 z
答案A
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-6-3 04:38 , Processed in 0.226479 second(s), 21 queries .